Buying tools and machinery

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
1651097504710.png

I've found that three weeks after I buy something new a used one pops up at half the price or less.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Twelve years ago I bought my first brand new band saw at Klingspor’s Woodworking Store, twelve years before that I bought my first brand new table saw at Klingspor’s Woodworking store, I still have both, very little in my shop was bought new. I don’t sit on the computer watching eBay. Many of my tools were bought from friends here, some were given, I have also given some.

In a few weeks we will have our annual picnic. Thousands of dollars worth of nice new tools will be raffled off to support this site and our outreach efforts. Tickets are available at the top of the page or you can buy them with cash at the picnic. And you will get some sort of small tool or supply just for showing up. Not to mention the free BBQ lunch.

My point is… well there is no point. But, you have joined a great group who look out for each other, help each other out, and have mostly all become great friends over time. Like any group you won’t be accepted the first day or week or maybe even the first year. It all depends on you and your willingness to be a friend and your efforts to help others. The price for entry is not high but the rewards are great.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have a horrible habit of finding tools for way less than new..... Its a curse and I cant say no. Most of the time, I stumble across them. Rarely have I ever sought something out specific other than my last purchase, a used Wide belt sander. The key is having ready cash to go get the item. Good, used woodworking equipment never stays for sale very long. As Mike had said earlier, many times members here will post items to other members before going public elsewhere.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
The only tool I bought new was my band saw..... Everything else came from friends or Craigslist.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have not had the best of luck with used. Either a hidden defect the seller knew about and hid, something I did not notice, or the tool is just not up to the job and not a good choice anyway.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Most of mine were bought new. Good deals and I dont go in the same sentence!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Dirk and I have something ion common.

You think this is an expensive hobby? My other one is old British sports cars. Probablly why I could not afford decent tools. :)

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Definitely a sellers market. When I bought the SawStop, I put one Jet 1.75HP table saw up for sale I got 1 inquiry in a week on CL, sold it within hours of putting it on Facebook Marketplace. Bought it for $800 10 years ago, sold it for $600.

I did the same thing with my other Jet 3HP saw, the guy picked it up the next day. I sold it for $850. I found the manual which I had recorded $1400 in 2009.

I decided to ditch the Domino 500. Paid $850 for it 3 years ago, sold it last year on Ebay for $1100.

Reference Handiwork

Ref
Senior User
@Wannabe I understand this frustration!

A lot of us who are getting used tools via craigslist and facebook marketplace are using notification services like google alerts so that we don't actually have to look at the listings all the time. We're waiting for emails or texts once someone posts something listed with certain keywords.

I'm personally looking for a quality drum sander at a good value, but am in no particular hurry, so I just wait and watch for those notifications.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I decided to ditch the Domino 500. Paid $850 for it 3 years ago, sold it last year on Ebay for $1100.
Oddly enough a Domino is one of the few new tools I have purchased (that and a budget Wen tracksaw). All my stationary tools are used (mostly bought at least 10 years ago), one used tool was a gift.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
If I had to pay full price, I'd likely own no Festool products. I'm up to a grand total of three now, all purchased used. Great tools though.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Wish I had a better drill press. That is about the only stationary tool I want to upgrade. Probably won't ever. I think I should invest in a good track saw. Makita probably. I do need to cut the hole in my shop wall so I can rip long boards again.

Doing more hand work. I was thinking about a Kapex, but now, a shooting board or my Lyon are my go-to.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
In 1985, I stocked the shop in one day with a Sears credit card (drill press, table saw, and band saw.) I just gotten a contract to make signs for my employer. In less than 90 days, these were all paid off. Same contract paid for a Buick Skylark. Since then I have only bought a Delta 22-540 planer, and PC 690 router new . The router was on clearance, half off. Have bought a couple of nail guns new, that were job specific, meaning they were included in price of job, along with a MIG welder. Also job specific.

avikb

New User
avikb
I find you have to be ready to strike and not look back. I lost a jet 16-32 drum sander because it wouldn't fit on the rolling table I made for my 12-24.... which died a few weeks later.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors