Butcher Block Top - Updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Lots of glue up work yesterday. I now have 3 sections about 12" wide so I can run them through the planer. Here is one of them. I think it is going to look nice. Suggestions on a finish? Was thinking about Waterlox. I'd be interested in any suggestions.

attachment.php

I spent a good part of the day in the shop. I'm making a butcher block top for a kitchen island. 2.5' x 3'. It is about 2.5" thick right now. Final thickness will be just over 2". White oak and some of PhilS's mahogany trim.

I put a couple of my new 'toys' to work. The Darra James table saw cut through the 1.5" white oak like it was soft butter. Also used my new to me Grizzly dust collector. I have lots of work to do to get it set up, but I think I'm going to like them both.

My back is tired! I think I counted 37 boards plus a few extras. Lot and Lots of cuts and plainning.

Not sure if I'll get to the glue up tomorrow or not.

Suggestions for glue? I've only ever used the Elmer's wood glue. I'm open to suggestions for this project.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180825_174620_resized.jpg
    20180825_174620_resized.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 20180825_154238_resized.jpg
    20180825_154238_resized.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 214
  • butcherblock.jpg
    butcherblock.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Re: Butcher Block Top

Definitely TB3 if you are not completely encasing it in plastic. My son in law did theirs in Maple and used Waterlox as a finish. It lived up to its name.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

I'll second TiteBond3 as the best choice. Although many epoxies are better, but a real PITA to work with. Elmer's Wood Glue is fine for most projects that won't have water contact. But being water soluble you can often get a little glue line creep over time with heavy usage. TB3 is a water-proof wood glue that will hold up very well. Mineral oil, well and frequently applied is the best finish. I have cutting boards I made 12 years ago still holding up and other than a nice sanding to remove knife marks, looking perfect. Welcome to your new heirloom.
DaveO

JohnW

New User
John

Titebond II & III will both work and last, but III is a little more water resistant, and gives you a longer open time shock is important when gluing so many pieces.

That should be a great looking top.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member

Titebond II & III will both work and last, but III is a little more water resistant, and gives you a longer open time shock is important when gluing so many pieces.

That should be a great looking top.
Thanks, I bought a couple of bottles of the TB III yesterday, but didn't get around to any glue ups yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors