Building with pallets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I don't know why but I can't help thinking...

I'll Huff... I'll Puff... I'll Bloooooooooooooow your house down! Jim

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Who'd a thunk it? I think I saw a stack of pallets laying around just the other day. Now if I could just remember where. :rotflm:

Bill

Dragon

New User
David
Hold on here now. Building with pallets ain't such a bad idea. I've got a "redneck solar kiln" that I built out of pallets and Wal Mart tarps and it works just fine. As for "no pics, didn't happen," well, there's at least 3 folks on this site that have eyeballed my contraption and the one who started this thread has gotten some wood from it that was nicely dried. ( I haven't seen much that he's made with it yet) I'm sure he'll find something really interesting to make and there's more here when he wants it.

Building with pallets can be a chore and you're somewhat limited dimensionally sometimes, but a little "redneck engineering" can accomplish a lot if properly applied. I've used 'em for garden trellises have salvaged a lot of really nice Canadian Maple 4X4's and 1X6's out of them.

I noticed in that link that someone had gotten hold of some plastic pallets to prevent termite and other insect damage. Got quite a few of those on hand too that I've got plans in the works for. Why waste good raw materials when you can scarf them up for freebies? :banana:

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Hey, building with pallets is now high art. Check out this construction in Austria: link.

Along the same lines (although not pallets), Peter Zumthor designed the temporary Swiss Pavilion in 2000 with 40,000 stacked logs: link 1, link 2, link 3, and link 4.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
the one who started this thread has gotten some wood from it that was nicely dried. ( I haven't seen much that he's made with it yet) I'm sure he'll find something really interesting to make and there's more here when he wants it.

Nope not me nada.:no:

dlrion

New User
Dan
There is some architectural engineer guy in New Mexico who is building these houses out of old used TIRES...

The thing I like about them is that he designs them to be completely self sufficient. Meaning no power bill, or water bill, or sewer bill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthship

I don't think you could run a woodshop with solar panels though.

TIRES!:elvis:

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
I've always thought some of those huge concrete drainage pipes would make for nice structures as well.

Dennis Weaver of McCloud fame was involved with the 'Earthship' tire structures years ago. Yep, this stuff has been going strong for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors