Building Oak Tool Cabinet: Have a Another Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
As some of you may recall from an earlier post, I am in the process of building a tool cabinet from red oak. Based on my question in that post, several of you offered very helpful suggestions for dealing with the doors, since the cabinet was fractional out of square. I managed to work thorough that problem and I am pleased with how things are progressing. While the doors hang well and are reasonably spaced around the cabinet base, the right door sits about 1/8" proud of the left door at the bottom, but both doors are flush with each other at top. This development is surprising since both doors were perfectly flat prior to being hung. Is there any "adjustment" I can attempt to make bottoms flush with each other?

Tool_Chest_Doors.JPG

View image in gallery
For those who may be interested, the back view of the cabinet is shown below.

Overall, I am very pleased with the work to-date. At times it can be a bit maddening, but it is a fun project! Tomorrow I plan to install casters...its already a heavy beast and I still have five drawers to install.

Donn

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
So the question is: Are the doors identical and this is a problem with the cabinet/ installation/ hinges, or is everything correct but the door warped/ twisted? If the former, some more investigation (and pictures) would be needed. If the latter - you could plane/ sand the doors down, but that's likely to cause other problems. As horrible as this may sound, it might just be quicker to build a new door. Or live with the door standing proud. There is always a chance the problem corrects itself over time if it was caused by moisture.

BTW, good looking cabinet!

yanmarman2007

New User
Jody
I wish I had an answer for you. But that is a great looking box. What is behind the doors? open, shelves, Etc...

I would love to build one like that for my Dad, He would love it. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
BAS, thank you for the response, I am very appreciative of your perspective. At this point, I think I will wait a while and see what happens. I still have work to do on other cabinet components, I'll assess the situation prior to the finishing process... it may be my imagination, but the offset didn't see as significant today.

Jody,thank you for your comment. In answer to your question, there are two pullout trays (upper and lower) behind the doors. I am following the plans from Plans Now (www.plansnow.com) "Classic Oak Tool Cabinet" which appeared in the August 2004 issue of Woodsmith magazine.

Cheers,
Donn

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Donn, there are a few things that can cause your problem. And as Bas pointed out, sometime it's best to 'temporally' ignore some things until a better picture developes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS