Building Code Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

striker

New User
Stephen
I hired what I thought to be a reputable contractor to build a deck at our beach place. Long story short, it turns out I could do better work with an axe. After realizing my mistake I gave him his walking papers today which he promptly did with my building materials. So thats a criminal matter now.

Now I am faced with correcting the mess he created. This is about a basic a deck as can be but frankly I don't know diddly about building codes for a deck. Is there any basic reference material out there for building codes? Do we have any contractors amongst us looking for a deck job? (located in North Topsail Beach)

I'd appreciate any information offered. Thanks

KWGOOCH

New User
KENNETH
You could get a copy of the NC Building codes, but you would still have to follow any local building codes. I would start with my local code enforcement office. Most are very helpful and informative. Mileage may vary, so good luck.

M

McRabbet

The State of NC Building Code can be found in most libraries or on the Department of Insurance website. The principal governing information is found in Appendix M of the 2002 Edition of the Residential Code. But as Kenneth suggests, you must verify that these apply in your local jurisdiction (towns usually issue building permits). I have built several decks within this code and the key items are the size and depth of footings and posts; the use of 5/8" galvanized through bolts and the bracing requirements. I would recommend going to Lowes to use their online Deck Design Tool or go to the HD's Contractor Desk to have them help you design your deck (both will produce materials lists and layout details), but remember that they won't guarantee code compliance with their materials list.

Hope this helps on the "getting it done" part -- but having the guy swipe materials you bought is bogus!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If the guy is a licensed contractor, go to the NC Licensing Board for General Contractors & file a complaint. You may also find that a visit to the local Building Code authorities with a complaint will do the same. As for the materials, I have been advised by suppliers in the past that once materials are delivered to a jobsite they become part & parcel of that property and a lien must be place to collect for non payment. You should visit your Sheriff for that matter, but you're probably better off to be rid of the guy and just move on.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Striker,

If you have a local inspector at the town hall he/she might tell you what you need to know. When I built my dock in Surf City a few years ago the local inspector was helpful and when I built my house there in 2002 the local inspector was very helpful. Just a thought.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I would agree that the local inspector is the best place to start. If you have some questions, try the inspector or the planning office where the inspector works. If it's more a matter of needing the whole plan, starting with Lowes or Home Depot and their design folks is a good idea. Take whatever plans and lists HD or Lowes give you and ask the local inspector if he or she sees any problems. The inspector will also help you understand what plans have to be filed with the town for permit / inspection / approval.

The building codes are meant for folks who already know how to build. I would not suggest that you try designing from them. That's a bit like learning a language by reading the dictionary. Worse yet, each locality has the right to modify the generic codes to fit their needs.

Most inspectors are folks who just want to help you get something built that is safe and secure.

Ray

striker

New User
Stephen
Thanks all of your comments. I see value in each and every comment.

So far I've had the building inspector give it a preliminary look over. He was somewhat tight lipped over his findings. Basically saying there are "issues". I'm hoping that was a result of the idiot I hired being the Permit holder at the time. I'm hopeful our next conversation is more fruitful since I'm the permit holder now.

I fixin to hit lowes at some point and see what info I can get there.

Thanks again

Littlejon

New User
Jon
I work for an architectural firm and I can tell you the advice given above is sound. Local codes will govern how it needs to be built and, being at the coast, there are different restrictions than other areas of the state.

Your inspector is probably familiar with this guy if he is from that area and is probably being tight lipped for reasons that may or may not have anything to do with your project. Usually they have no qualms about telling you what is wrong and most are friendly with you as long as you are with them.

Let him tell you what needs fixing and then you can decide what to do. It sounds like you will need some legal advice on getting your materials back and some money for the repairs. Truthfully, if he isn't a licensed contractor, you may never see a dime. If he IS licensed, he had to have a minimum amount of money in the bank just to take the licensing test. This is to prove to them he is serious about his work and used as a means to help ensure he can cover costs, etc. It isn't fool-proof by any means, but if he is licensed, you have a much better chance of recovering something. Since he did shoddy work, I would be willing to bet he isn't licensed.

Once you know what needs to be done, I would ask the inspector for a list of reputable LICENSED contractors and get several to look at it and give you quotes. Make sure to get all of it in writing and if they ask for money up front, tell them to walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors