Building a table of sorts, need a bit of advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
This isn't exactly for the wood shop, but it may wind up in it.
I'm looking to build a reloading table. It might as well be a work bench because what I envision will basically be one. I'd like to have a place to store my ammo cans (military style) so it will have to have storage for heavy stuff, probably about 25 ammunition cans and powder pots, boxes of bullets, etc. weighing in at I'm guessing 10 pounds or more each. Maybe a bit more in average.
The top.bench surface will have three permanently placed reloading presses that will mean repetious torque.
A place for a cleaning/ maintenance vise would be nice as well as a drawer or two for patches, swabs, rods, etc. Possibly a shelf for reloading books and logs.
Anyone have or seen something like this?
I've got ideas but they keep bouncing into each other and knocking everything off track. I'm not at a loss, but I've got to get some stuff organized and moving.
I've not seen anything quite like I'm envisioning and somehow my mind isn't letting itself sort out the ones I've seen and incorporate the features I want. So, any ideas suggestions, sketches, pictures etc would be most welcome!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Andy, I done some reloading in my younger days so I know what kind of stress you will be putting on the bench. For the top I would use SYP. The most cost effective way is to start with 2 x 6's. When cut them in 2 pieces leaving you 2 x 3. I would them biscuit join them. I would also add an overhead cabinet with doors to store the powder and primers. Draws underneath can hold you brass and other hardware.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Another alternative to SYP would be 8/4 oak. I think that I'd put some pretty significant supports running underneath the top to help offset the torque stresses; maybe even dado them into the bottom of the bench top.

It's been years since I reloaded, but I still have my old Rock chucker and dies for a .270 Weatherby Magnum...

Scott

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
My husband reloads. His table is 1/2" steel. He said that he would reinforce the footprint of each reload machine with 1/4" steel. Just a small steel plate where you are going to place reload machine.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
many thanks
I hope this might get going pretty soon.
Hopefully after the holidays I'll have some down time.
Why did y'all get out of reloading? Priced shells lately??
WOW. Only hope I've got to continue to enjoy shooting.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Andrew: I built a table for my shop a while back based on the article in one of the WW mags, maybe WoodWorker's Journal. It was easy to build, it's on casters, (lockable) is about 30" square, has a lower shelf that could handle your powder, shot, primers, etc. I also put a drawer in mine but that was an option.

The original use for the table is to use as an outfeed for my table saw, but I think it might do what you want. The entire table is built from one sheet of 3/4" plywood. If I can find the plans, I'll shoot you a PM.

:wsmile:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I built a reloading bench for a guy awhile back. He got plans for it from one of his gun web sites. We built it so that the top was removable, and made the base out of 2x4's wrapped with 1/4" quartersawn oak plywood in a frame and panel style. It weighed a ton, but worked well. He wanted it to look good as he was putting it in his house. He is planning on coming back next week to build some storage cabinets in the upper part. I've got the plans for it in PDF format at work if you want them so let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors