building a nightstand (questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Greetings to one and all,

I have some leftover wood (jatoba) from building my bedframe and I would like to build a nightstand for the LOML. Right now the nightstand is on my side of the bed, as I am the one who normally has to wake up the earliest. Yet, 99.9999% of the contents that occupy that nightstand are hers. So you can see how this is a priority for me. At some point in the near future, I would like to build a "matching" nightstand for me and put our current nightstand in the extra bedroom. Eventually, I would like to build a dresser and armoire, but we'll get to that at some point in the future.

What I have to work with: I have two 3 foot posts (4/4" maybe a little less) and a 2"x2"x10' piece. I was thinking of making the legs out of that piece. My one concern is that it has a slight bow in it.

What I want to build: Picture a square table top with ten pieces of wood meeting at a center point and extending outward at 36 degrees each.
First Question: How would you reccomend cutting those pieces? I have a table saw. Should I make a jig for that? I was thinking of cutting them all by hand (but with what type of saw?). Again, all I have to work with is a tablesaw for resawing, What would you all reccomend for that?

The inlay: Second Questions: Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I want to inlay a quarter moon made of lighter colored wood in the center of the piece I mentioned above. I planned on cutting the jatoba strips and glueing them to some ply and then routing (and chiseling) out the space for the inlay. Any tips? reccomendations?

This is as far as I am now, thanks for the help!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Personally with the limited solid stock you have I would utilize it for the legs, aprons, drawer face (if using a drawer) and outer frame for the top. The bow in your 2 x 2 x 10 might not be too bad once you cut it the needed leg length.
I would get some commercial paper backed veneer to do the top with. It is much easier to work with, and can be easily cut with scissors or with a fabric rolling blade. If you feel like splurging you can even get it with a PSA backing that would eliminate the whole glue up step -
http://www.veneersupplies.com/produ...=5335&osCsid=11663af947a6f671869cc9e4b4ef2cfd

For the inlay, you are on the right track with the router and trimming to fit by hand method;-). But if you can tolerate slightly rounded tips on the moon, you could use a router inlay kit http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11208 and get very precise results.

MTCW,
Dave:)

mcoston2

New User
michael
You can resaw the 4x4 with the TS. You would have to be very careful.
you will end up with some burn marks on the wood from the saw, so have some sanding blocks ready. Sounds like a great idea. Don't forget pic's:-D

Michael

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Yep. looks like veneer is the way to go. Thanks so much for the links Dave. I just wish it wasn't $90 for a 4'x8' sheet when all I'll really need is about 2'x2'. :roll: That inlay kit looks nice too.

Thanks mcoston for the advice. I think I am going to go with the veneer though. The more I think about it, I'd be waisting a bunch of wood trying to go the TS route, and I don't have that much to start with.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Trent, I am sure that you can find paper backed veneer in other sizes. That was just the first link that I came across with Jatoba listed. I know that Rockler carries it. You might contact these folks. http://www.sveneers.com/
They have hobby packs, with smaller pieces.
Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Dave,

Thanks for the link. I didn't see it on their product list, but I'll send them an e-mail and see if they have it. I google searched it and didn't have any luck finding hobby packs. But the first link that you gave me is still the lowest price on a 4'x8', hands down. Muchas gracias! :icon_thum

Trent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS