Building a fence...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Hi all! Quick question for all of you much more wise than me. I'm in stalling a rustic split rail fence with some chicken wire attached to keep the puppy in. My question is : can I just fasten the chicken wire to the posts with normal staples or do I need to use some special galvanized ones? I didn't see any at Lowes. I plan on using my compressor and finish nailer. Thanks! :)

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I guess it depends if you like the rusty staple look or not.

If the chicken wire is galvanized, I'd use galvanized staples.

You may have to mail order staples, but they are easy to find, e.g. Amazon.

-Mark

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
You might find it easier to obtain SS staples. And whatever time you initally expect to have the chicken wire up plan on doubling it!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Peter,

What kind of wood is the fence made from? Is any of it pressure treated? If so, you really need to consider galvanized or stainless fasteners. The chemicals in the PT wood will eat anything less... and do so in very short order.

Ray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Normal staples like you use in a staple gun won't last very long and aren't long enough to really hold IMO. Lowes and HD both sell them. You don't have to get the real big ones (around an 1" long). The 3/4" ones should work.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I would suggest using fence wire staples - you can obtain these from a farm supply store or a "local" hardward store.

They are galvanized and also the proper dimensions to securely fasten the wire.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors