building a bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephmcbryde

New User
joe
I have a bed to build for my daughter. Wanted to use 4x4 walnut posts. Found the posts but can't get them dried. Don't have years to wait. Any suggestions on how to use walnut and make them LOOK like 4x4 posts? New to woodwork, not totally stupid but still not the sharpest chisel in the drawer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

botebum

New User
Doug
You could build box posts or laminate solid ones. If you go with box posts, miter the corners and chamfer them. It'll help hide the joint.
Or build a kiln and dry the ones you have but that's a bit of a project.

Doug

josephmcbryde

New User
joe
I intend to mortis the post at the bottom for the side rail. Would the box posts need to be solid throughout or could I use a pine post and cover it with walnut slats?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Take a look at this method (PDF file) -> http://www.stuswoodworks.com/gusguild/2009/03/gratuitous-plug/?aid=882&pid=481&sa=1 I've never used this method, but I believe some of our members here have, with great success. It's similar to a miter joint, but looks even more like it's solid wood.

Even with hollow legs, you could still use a mortise & tenon joint, but it wouldn't be as strong since there is less glue surface. For a bed, that might be important. I'm not sure a pine post would be the way to go though, since the pine and walnut will expand and contract at different rates. But you could certainly laminate 3/4" kiln-dried walnut stock to make the post center, then cover it with slats.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
I intend to mortis the post at the bottom for the side rail. Would the box posts need to be solid throughout or could I use a pine post and cover it with walnut slats?

It would be better to laminated several layer of walnut into a post than encase a pine post in walnut. Wood moves. It swells and shrinks with changes in heat and humidity and different wood move at different rates. You would have a lot more movement in a softer, more porous wood like pine than you would have in a denser wood like walnut. Over time all that movement would probably tear the posts apart.

botebum

New User
Doug
When building hollow spars for boats the method is to insert blocking inside the mast at points where rigging, blocks, etc. need to attach.
If you want to take a look google birdsmouth spars. I've always wanted to build a pencil post bed with birdsmouth posts. Strong, lightweight, unique.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS