Buffalo 20" Planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
Finally!! I am in a position where I can afford a planer and a jointer. I'd like one that will last and will also fit my needs so I'm think about a 20" planer. I'm a hobiest and don't ever plan on doing wood working as a full time job. I have several questions:
1) Do I need a 20" planer? I'm thinking for door panels and table tops it might be nice to plane them even after glue up.
2) I saw this 20" Buffalo plan on craigslist. It is from a cabinet shop and looks quite used, but the price seems reasonable. Any input on the company? Are they still around? http://greensboro.craigslist.org/tls/4063236274.html
3) If you could only buy a planer or jointer which would you buy? I think I'm going to need to make these purchases separately.

I have plenty of room in my shop and I can wire whatever kind of electrical I need as the walls in the shop are not finished. Ii already have several 220 volt outlets.

Thank you for your help.

Alex

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
This a very "generic" planer. If you look in Grizzly's catalog, you will most likely see the same planer.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Like you I'm a hobbiest with no particular desire to get involved professionally. For that money you could buy both a jointer and planer that are perfectly fine for the hobby level.

jbrphil

New User
JP
Yes, I saw it on Craiglist but not sure if its worth 1,100 cuz i am not familiar with Buffalo planner. There are several new Grizzly planner which cost 1500 if you pick it up at the store otherwise 1700 shipping include. Warranty included so worth it instead of used unless they are willing to sell it for 800. I am trying to negiotate the seller who sell G1033 for 750 but he refused and stick with 950 and not sure if its worth money because I saw several Grizzly planner for 750 but too far for me to get it.

jbrphil

New User
JP
I happened saw 20 inch Jet planner for 600 and I jumped and called. ughhh he changed his mind to sell it! I think he made mistake on pricing which is too low!

some use a planner sled to get buy without a jointer but to me that is not a full time solution

joimters what ever size you buy that is the widdest board you can joint

lots of 6" jointers in used market from around $125 to $600 new theese ar $400 to 1200
less 8" in the used market cause theese are what people want upgradimg from the 6's being sold you
starting with a 8" cam be smart but picking up a used 6" for a good price and then you could hopefully sell it to get most of you money back

on the planner starting at the 20" would be like starting with a 8" joimter but I could not do that so I started with a dewalt 735 and search that it is a good bang for the buck but not a 20"

hope this helps

jbrphil

New User
JP
whoa...its in Florida...long drive! I need at least 18 inches because I have lot of lumber that has 18 inches so 20 inch planer will do. I saw one company shut down in New York where my brother lives and plan to fish salmon this weekend. He has lot of neat wood working tools. He will get back to me this Friday morning to tell me what model and cost. If its #### good deal then off to there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors