Bruce's bandsaw dust collection tip in WOOD mag

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Dust collection on the bandsaw has been discussed more than a few times. Bruce (junquecol on NCWW, sp?) has noted here that his tip was published in WOOD magazine, where I saw it originally, and that he can not post pictures publicly. I know I have struggled to find that back, and thought others might also want to see it.

Here is a link to Bruce's tip (at least I believe this is it) that I saw in WOOD's latest e-mail to me
https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-how-to/shop-tips/the-less-dusty-dust-tee

As a side note, I have recently taken a slightly different approach after reading some ideas here on NCWW (sorry I can't attribute the correct OP). I took an old vacuum hose and 'fed it' under the BS table and past the blade by at least 4-6", leaving the end open. Marked the blade location and cut a slit in the hose at that point; remounted the hose under BS with the blade inserted in the slit. Hose was only affixed to the table with plastic tie strap to the pin at the edge of the table (and friction fit into some of the tight spaces under the BS table. Normal shop vac on this old hose get the vast majority of the dust for the bit of work I have done with it. Very pleased so far. I recall reading the OP here saying that it seemed important to have airflow in the hose 'established already', hence the section of hose past the blade. My tests confirm that the slot in the hose is much more effective than simply mounting the end of the vac hose near the blade.

Here's what the link from WOOD mag to Bruce's BS dust collection fixture shows:

The less dusty dust-Tee

Bruce Wrenn has made a habit of fixing up used tools for the Apex, N.C., shop that houses his home-maintenance business. When he turned his attention to improving the dust collection on his three 14" bandsaws, “the only word to describe the results is WOW!,” Bruce says. Here’s how you can do the same with your bandsaw.
Using PVC glue, attach a 4" length of PVC pipe to one arm of a PVC Tee, as shown. Cut two strips of 1⁄8 ×1×8" flat steel and drill slots to accept the trunnion bolts on the bottom of your bandsaw table, as shown. Then drill holes to attach two blast-gate brackets (Rockler, item no. 26813, $4 each, 800-279-441, rockler.com). Mount the brackets to the strips using the included bolts. Then, after loosening the trunnion bolts, slide the steel brackets in place on them. (You may have to use washers to shim the steel strips flush with the ribs on the bottom of your bandsaw table.)

Attach the Tee to the blast gate brackets with hose clamps, pointing the Tee leg toward the blade. Use a butter tub lid or a PVC slip cap to seal one end of the tee and attach your dust collection hose to the other. With your dust collector on, any dust that falls through the table gets sucked into the tee.

Last edited:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
That tip is almost ten years old now, but it still works and doesn't require cutting any holes in the band saw. That tip, and my building the first "TOP HAT" Thien baffle are my claim to fame. At one time almost every month, either Joe Scharle or I had a published tip in one of the WW magazines. I'm sitting on a couple of things now, that I need to get off my lazy butt and send in. As for value of the tip, I didn't have to fill out a W-9, but the young lady who took my picture did. That shows who made the most money from my tip.

Last edited:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Bruce, your router docking idea on circle/ellipse jigs is still your best in my opinion.

But then again, maybe your space saving idea of stacking tablesaws takes the cake ;)

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
How is Joe Scharle a "new user" ????
I will let Ron or Neal (Bowman) answer for sure, but "Bad" email addresses and some other complications in bringing people over resulted in "resetting" their status - I am sure it can be corrected...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
How is Joe Scharle a "new user" ????

It is part of the new software. Joe had been off the site for more then 30 days so the system showed him as a new user. A nightly job runs and updates status. He is back to the same Joe Scharle we knew.

FlyingRon

Ron
When we deep-sixed the visit frequency stuff, it was decided that we would flush your "extra privs" if you didn't use the site in the past 30 days. Joe fell into that. The good news, is we don't make you start over. Once you come back, the next day you should be back to your old status.

Those with bad email addresses get a good amount of site access (I'm still trying to figure out a nicer way around this), so we don't try to send emails to the bad address. That's only happened with a couple of active users. They show up as "banned bad email."

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS