Broken Rocker Runner in Davidson NC

Firewire2012

New User
Dan
I’m not sure if this is the right area to post this. While I myself am a woodworker I am in a bit of a pickle. I no longer have any of my tools and didn’t plan to setup my shop again for a few years. My wife and I just recently moved.

During this move a family heirloom rocking chair that my in-laws just had re-upholstered had its leg snapped off. This is the same chair that my wife was rocked in as well as her mother before her. I took a look at the damage to see if this was something that I could just glue back on until I could build a new rocker runner at a later date.

The break was not clean and there is no way I could just glue this together and not have it noticed. In fact this same runner has a glue line from a previous repair in the same area. There is also a screw from a attempted repair from my father in law. The wood appears to be some variant of mahogany. I need to find a way to get this repaired before my in-laws come to visit.

Would anyone know of a local shop or individual who could repair this for a fee? I am located in the Davidson North Carolina area. I’ve included a few photos of the chair and break. The runner does have a bit of a complex curve but nothing too bad.

The joinery is loose tenons and not a dowel which may prove to be more difficult unless the runner is cut clean off and a new method of joinery utilized.

I have attached a few images for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_20200421_115248.jpg
    IMG_20200421_115248.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20200421_115254.jpg
    IMG_20200421_115254.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20200421_115259.jpg
    IMG_20200421_115259.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 219
  • IMG_20200421_115310.jpg
    IMG_20200421_115310.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_20200421_115313.jpg
    IMG_20200421_115313.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20200421_115322.jpg
    IMG_20200421_115322.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 203

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
i am on the far east side of Charlotte, but you are welcome to come down and use me/or my tools as needed.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
It has the color of mahogany, but I'm uncertain about the grain. I have some thick pieces of mahogany and I'll likely never use all of it, so you are welcome to choose a few pieces out of my stash, if you can find what will work for you. If you can send dimensions of the board that you would need (measure the good runner- length and width of board needed, and thickness ) I'll look to see what I have.

My shop is very small, so it may be best if you take Mike up on his offer for actually making the rocker(s). I also have a pair of curved laminated rockers that came from a flea market about 20 years ago. These are more the type for outside porch rockers, but you are welcome to them as well, if you have a use for them. I have no idea what wood they were made from, but certainly not mahogany.

Send a PM. I'm in Kannapolis, near I-85 Exit 60.

Charley

Last edited:

Wannabe

New User
Vic
Hey, how are you? Sorry to hear about your problem. I have a small shop, but some machines that may help you. A bench drill press, router and table, 14" band saw, 12" planer and a 10" hybrid table saw. Your welcome to use it all and I maybe closer to you. I'm located in Lexington. If interested, text me at 336-300-0120. I would have you P.M. but new here and don't know how to do it.

Firewire2012

New User
Dan
Mike and Vic - Thank you very much for your offers. Unfortunately I do not have the time to do the repair myself. I have a 9 month old and its difficult to commit the time needed for the project. I am looking to hire someone to do the work who is in the area.

Charles - I really appreciate the offer of the mahogany. I'd be willing to purchase wood for the runner if I can find someone to do the work.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
My offer still stands for the free mahogany wood needed for this project, but I am over committed in time right now. If you can find someone to do the work for you, they or you, are welcome to come by for the wood. If you can send me some dimensions, I will look to see if I have a piece or two that will do the job for you.

I know that you are in a hurry to have this fixed, but the best way to make rocker runners is to do a glue-up of 1/8" thin strips on a curved form. This will produce runners that are much stronger than those made from flat stock. The weakest point in your present runners, and where the one broke, is where the grain of the wood becomes more cross grained, just behind the rear leg. Laminating layers in a form will produce a runner that is far stronger because the grain will tend to follow the curve of the runner.

Charley

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you can bring the chair to Walnut Cove I can make new rockers for it.
I’m laid off till May so I have time now.

Firewire2012

New User
Dan
Charles - I appreciate the response and generous offer for the wood. I agree that the building techniques utilized on this rocker are not the best. I definitely would have done things differently.

Mike - That would be great. Walnut cove appears to be an hour and a half away. I will PM you and we can discuss the details.

Firewire2012

New User
Dan
I just measured the rocker runner and its about 37 inches long which means the boards would need to be longer to account for the curve. The runner is also exactly 1 1/4 wide.

@Charley - Do you have any boards that would allow me to get two full runners? I would be willing to pay for them.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Taking into account for the curve, how wide must the board be that the runners will be cut from? I'm assuming that 1 1/4 is the top to bottom dimension at any given point along the curve of the runner, and this won't help me to find the piece of wood. Next, how thick must the board be? I need to know how big the rectangle will need to be that the runner is to be cut from in length and width, and how thick it must be.

Most of what I have are shorts, but I do have a few longer pieces. I have 3 pieces of mahogany that might work for you.

Two of them are 1" thick and the third is 3/4 thick. Both of the 1" are 5 1/2" wide, but one of them is used and has three about 1/8" diameter blind holes in it about 4" from each end (total 6 holes). It also has stain and finish on it. Then I have a third piece that is 5" x 58", but only 3/4 thick. All are planned surfaces 4 sides, not rough sawn, and all of these dimensions were obtained in a poorly lit dark attic using a tape measure, so I might be a tiny bit off, especially on the thickness. (maybe 31/32" instead of 1")

Mike, can you take over from here? If any of these will work, they are available.

Charley

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks Charley, no the rockers are
1 1/4 wide. I’ll be cutting 40 inch long strips 3/16 thick. About 18 - 20 strips total.

I have some plain Sapele that should be close. It is 2 inches thick x 8 inch x 10 feet. More than enough.

Firewire2012

New User
Dan
First off thank you all for your help with this.

Charley,
Sorry I was caught up with some things last night. The rocker runners are 1 1/2 tall with a small decorative piece at each end that is 1 inch tall making it 2 inches tall there. Mike will be doing a bent lamination so the width doesn't need to be significantly over sized. The length of the board needs to be around 40 inches if you take into account the curve. The width of the stock needs to end up around 8/4 finished. It seems like Mike's Sapele may be the best option.

Regards,
Dan

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS