Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
"did I do it right" Heck! Yeah! man that is a Great Job.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
Nice to take pics and document it.:icon_thum
That really helps out allot.
Sometimes I have intentions of doing that, but then I get wrapped up in what I am doing, that I blow right past it:embaresse

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I made the tongue go the full length on my trestle table and my secretary, I like that idea better. Thanks for sharing, looks great, don't you love walnut?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Did you put a router bit in your drill press to cut the mortises in the breadboard ends?

Would have if I had a spiral cut one. All I have now are straight cutters for the router, and Lowe's didn't have a up-cut spiral 3/8". I went out and bought a 3/8" forstner bit, but really don't like them for deep holes as you are forever raising and lowering the bit to clear the chips to keep them from burning. I then remembered I had some milling cutters (for metal) that a guy had given me years ago when his father passed away. Dug through the box and found a 3/8 twin flute end mill, so decided to try it, as I thought the spiral flutes would clear the chips better. It worked good on a test, and better when I increased the DP RPM to almost 3000. I plunge cut the deep holes first and then ran the board lengthwise to clean up the sides.

Here are pics of the bit I used, so you can compare it to an up-cut spiral router bit. Realize on these cutters, the shank is the same as the cutter diameter.

Go

Had to make me take some more pictures, dint ya!:wsmile:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great job Mark. Thanks for the step by step. Some day I might be able to build a piece of furniture.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Go

Had to make me take some more pictures, dint ya!:wsmile:

But of course!! Wouldn't be right if I didn't.:wink_smil

I haven't ever tried what you did, but I have read about it. No more pictures, but more questions. Did you use the end mill as a drill bit, or did you use it like an overarm router and plunge the bit in and then push your board through?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
But of course!! Wouldn't be right if I didn't.:wink_smil

I haven't ever tried what you did, but I have read about it. No more pictures, but more questions. Did you use the end mill as a drill bit, or did you use it like an overarm router and plunge the bit in and then push your board through?

Actually, a little of both.

I cut the deep mortises first so that I wouldn't lose my layout lines. They were deeper than the cutter portion length of the bit, so I plunged them first, centering the bit over solid wood, then dropped the cutter in about 1/2" at a time and slid it side-to side to clean up the edges and nibs between holes.

I first tried the side to side on the shallow mortises:

As you can see, I got a lot of tear-out due to the upward spiral pulling up the wood on the edges. (sorry for the lousy focus, but I had installed the end before I reviewed the pics!!) The fact that I could only get about 3000 rpm on the drill press may have been a factor, also. I went back to the plunge-first method, and it came out much cleaner.

I am not sure my drill press would have stayed accurate with a lot of side pressure on the quill, also, so that was also a consideration.

It gave me clean enough mortises that I did not have to dress them up with a chisel, but not quite as clean as I think a router would have given me. The pros were that the upward spiral cleaned the chips out of the plunge cuts much better than forstner bits, I was able to keep my layout lines in clear view during the whole process, and it was an easy and quick set-up. The only con was that the sides of the deep mortises may not have been quite as smooth as a router.

Scott, This was my first attempt at bread board ends. I got my info for doing them from Andy Rae's "The Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction". IMHO it is a good "How to" reference for designing and building most furniture.

Lorraine: I thought about full tenons, but with this air-dried lumber, i have already had some fun with the wood changing shape after milling. I wanted a strong joint, but was really worried that a long deep mortise would end up with the wood really warping after removing that much from the center. With the humidity bouncing between 60% and 100%, I decided to go as safe as possible. Besides, I also wanted to see if I could do it.:mrgreen:

Thank everyone for their comments.

Go

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Looks like a good way to do this and the end product looks good.

I have used my table saw with a dado set to cut the groove. I have to do some work on the ends and drop the wood down on the dado set to start the cut but it makes a nice straight cut for most of the length. I think I just left the tongue the full length but you could also shorten it and just have it not completely fill the slot. It seems like I made the male side of the joint with a router (it's been awhile since I did one).

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS