Box on frame/stand

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
This is a commission I am just finishing up. It only has one coat of antique oil and and has been sanded with 320 grit. Does not yet have the brass knobs installed on the pull out shelves. All solid walnut except the top which is 1/8" thick walnut glued to a 1/2" plywood substrate. It has been a fun project.

David Turner
North Raleigh

Attachments

• DSCN0658.JPG
    DSCN0658.JPG
    722 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN0659.JPG
    DSCN0659.JPG
    714.7 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCN0660.JPG
    DSCN0660.JPG
    710.6 KB · Views: 205

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Very nice, David. Will you post more pics when it is completed? I'd love to see the inside also. Does the box lift off the stand, or is it permanently attached?

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Bill: Yes the box is a seperate piece and fits down inside the trim so as to look like one unit.
Not really sure what if anything I am going to do with the inside. It will have a glued in felt liner in both the bottom and the top for sure but I'm still thinking about divider(s).

David

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
David, that's a beautiful piece. I look forward to seeing of it as you complete with your choices.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
David, that is looking great! Like Bill, I am looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done David. That's an interesting box but it looks huge from my perspective. What are the dimensions? Do you know what the new owner will use it for? What is the slide out shelf in pic 2 supposed to be used for? Just curious.

Thanks.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Jeff:
The box is 10" wide x 18" long and 8 1/2" high. Once it is placed on the frame/stand it measures 23" tall. The picture out of the magazine I was given as the reference to build shows it at the end of a couch (like a table) and the shelf has a cup and saucer on it.

David

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff:
The box is 10" wide x 18" long and 8 1/2" high. Once it is placed on the frame/stand it measures 23" tall. The picture out of the magazine I was given as the reference to build shows it at the end of a couch (like a table) and the shelf has a cup and saucer on it.

David

Thanks David. The box isn't as huge as it seemed to me originally. That's unusual for an "end table" variation. The real bottom (with green felt) must sit above the pull out shelf I guess. I'm just trying to visualize what the inside of the table looks like and what it may be used for.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Actually the felt will be maroon as I have found it goes really well with black walnut.
Yes the bottom is above the shelf slides and inlet into the sides with a dado all around.
The inside is just a large space that can house about anything you desire. I believe the new owner will use it for storage of knitting/needle point items

David

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Ok. How about a few pics of the inside? Do you have the book reference to the design picture that you were given. Just curious and I'd like to look at it.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
No big deal on the inside. It's just plain old black walnut and as of yet hasn't even been finished.
No book reference; design is right out of my head based on a picture out of magazine. Don't even have the picture anymore.

David

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Finished and delivered. As you can readily see my photographic skills suck. Thanks for looking.

David Turner

Attachments

• DSCN0690.JPG
    DSCN0690.JPG
    709.7 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN0691.JPG
    DSCN0691.JPG
    714.7 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN0692.JPG
    DSCN0692.JPG
    719.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN0693.JPG
    DSCN0693.JPG
    711.5 KB · Views: 134

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
David,
I have suggested in the past that we "hire" a professional photographer (or one of our members) and put on a class / workshop for taking WIP and finished projects.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
So what are you saying Hank, my photos suck?

You know I attended just such a class some years ago. Had a whole lot of information on backdrops, lighting, and location of lighting, type of camera, angle of the dangle, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sorry, I don't want to go through all those hoops. I just want to work wood. You're all welcome to come over and
see it in person. It's much better than the pictures depict. Oh, I forgot to tell you that my wife is/was the client so it is in my living room.

David

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
So what are you saying Hank, my photos suck?

You know I attended just such a class some years ago. Had a whole lot of information on backdrops, lighting, and location of lighting, type of camera, angle of the dangle, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sorry, I don't want to go through all those hoops. I just want to work wood. You're all welcome to come over and
see it in person. It's much better than the pictures depict. Oh, I forgot to tell you that my wife is/was the client so it is in my living room.

David
Nope - YOU said "As you can readily see my photographic skills suck" and that reminded me that we were discussing doing that - where did you find the class you took?

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I belong to SAPFM (Society of American Period Furniture Makers) which while I was in the Detroit, Mi. had a very active chapter. Some 25 members met a couple of times a year and one of the guys was an expert on photography. He gave a 4 hour presentation from soup to nuts on photographing our furniture for submittal to publications, museums, for sale catalogs, etc. Only thing I remember was how important it was to not get dark spots or reflective (flash) light. I probably still have the documentation from the presentation. I'll try to dig it out for sharing.

David

Jeff

New User
Jeff
How to Photograph Furniture for Your eCommerce Store
Thanks for an interesting link, David. Looking at the recommendations for "high quality" photos it sure is a lot of extra hoops and expense just to take a few one-off photos to post on NCWW. However, the presentation is geared towards high quality photos for an e-commerce presentation.

Nonetheless, Hank's suggestion is still worth consideration.

"I have suggested in the past that we "hire" a professional photographer (or one of our members) and put on a class / workshop for taking WIP and finished projects."

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
[QUOTE="Looking at the recommendations for "high quality" photos it sure is a lot of extra hoops and expense just to take a few one-off photos to post on NCWW."

[/QUOTE]
Jeff, We're about education in woodworking, not just a social site. If members here are wanting to gear up to learn better photography tips to better present their work for sale, then I welcome the extra hoops and expenses involved. These tips also work for posting pictures of food on other sites, not just NCWW.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS