Box lids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I was looking through everyone's gallery looking for gift ideas and saw some beautiful boxes, but none with routed pop off lids. Pic shows what I mean. With all of the boxes you guys have done, have you had any bad results with these? I just started doing boxes this way a few years ago and maybe it's failure prone???
I see most of you use a separate liner
Joe
RouteOffLidBox.jpg

Big Mike

New User
Mike
No, Joe there is absolutely no reason that that method is not a good one. One just has to carefully measure how deep and where the internal groove is so when you rout the outside they align properly and the lid fits with no excessive slop. I have used it but it is best suited for mass produced boxes IMHO as setting it up for "one of's" is not practical for me. I also prefer it for smaller boxes. I used to use that method a lot when I made boxes for double bridge decks. It works very well. Your box looks like you have mastered the technique. If you are gonna make a bunch of them it is a great method to use.:icon_thum

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I always keep an extra side just so I can 'eyeball' the outside dado. But you know, when you give things as gifts, you're not likely to get feedback after some time has gone by. We have a couple here and the lips are still in one piece, but I did get suspicious when I didn't see any on anyone's gallery. Thanks for the feedback. Trying to unkink my back now. cshipper got me to thinking about scroll sawing, so I got a Canada Goose pattern in the mail yesterday and spent 2 hours hunkered over the SS this PM. This stuff takes more patience than I've got or else I need to get some Binford 6100 SS blades!

Joe

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Joe, just curious, do you rout or cut the dados on the tablesaw. I have always done it on the router table but I guess you could do it on the table saw if you were careful. Yeah, I always kept a spare side made from scrap that I had sized to match my good stuff. My memory requires that I do that; got CRS....:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS