Bowl Lathe Project/Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
So, now that I'm hooked on turning after acquiring an old 12" craftsman lathe last year I've decided to try my luck at building a large bowl lathe. My SIL is scrapping a large dual turret CNC metal lathe and gave me head of the line scraping privileges. So far I've pulled a piece (I'm calling a head stock) with a 1.25" swiss collet. The idea is to fabricate interchangeable 1.25" shafts with a bowl chuck, face plate and spur, etc...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I also pulled a 2hp motor off the CNC which I hope to hook up to a VFD and use a potentiometer to control the speed. Plan to use some scrap heavy duty tubing for the frame/body of the bowl lathe. Will update with additional pics and info ASAP.

Attachments

• 20180201_163807.jpg
    20180201_163807.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 524
  • 20180201_163830.jpg
    20180201_163830.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 530
  • 20180201_163818.jpg
    20180201_163818.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 529

awldune

Sam
User
If the lathe won't have a tailstock, be mindful of the "line of fire" should any bowls take flight. A 16'' bowl blank is quite heavy and can do a lot of damage to cars, windows, humans, etc.

If you get interested in turning big bowls, you are also going to want a big bandsaw. And a good electric chainsaw. And a coring system. etc etc

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Me thinks me has the bandsaw portion covered. https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61462&highlight=centauro
I'm too chicken to start without a tail stock. Will start looking for coring components. Finally got the thing running today. Getting ready to load some more progress pics.

If the lathe won't have a tailstock, be mindful of the "line of fire" should any bowls take flight. A 16'' bowl blank is quite heavy and can do a lot of damage to cars, windows, humans, etc.

If you get interested in turning big bowls, you are also going to want a big bandsaw. And a good electric chainsaw. And a coring system. etc etc

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Got to do a little more this afternoon. Cut a few more pieces for the bed/frame.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Also got the motor/plate drilled/tapped and bolted to the frame
attachment.php
attachment.php

Had to remove the gears off the motor's original configuration (silver looking) and bore the head stock 5v pulley (rusty looking) to fit over it.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Mounted the head stock and installed pulleys and belts
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Miscellaneous leftovers and a part I plan to use as a tail stock once the bed is complete
attachment.php

Finally, I got the lathe under power late today, runs smooth. Will try and get video loaded as soon as my SIL forwards it to me. Now I'm waiting on the VFD and potentiometer

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• Bandsaw frame 1.jpg
    Bandsaw frame 1.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 479
  • Bandsaw 4 x 1 inch bed bar.jpg
    Bandsaw 4 x 1 inch bed bar.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 479
  • Bed components 1.jpg
    Bed components 1.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 474
  • Bed components 2.jpg
    Bed components 2.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 488
  • Motor mount plate 1.jpg
    Motor mount plate 1.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 480
  • Motor mounted.jpg
    Motor mounted.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 478
  • pulley small.jpg
    pulley small.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 483
  • Pulley.jpg
    Pulley.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 479
  • Head stock mounted 1.jpg
    Head stock mounted 1.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 481
  • Headstock mounted.jpg
    Headstock mounted.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 480
  • Belts connected 1.jpg
    Belts connected 1.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 484
  • Belts connected 2.jpg
    Belts connected 2.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 472
  • misc left overs.jpg
    misc left overs.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 466

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Wow Steve, that is some project and fabrication! Good luck on your engineering marvel. I'll be looking forward to the final result and your first bowl from it.:eusa_danc

Rick M

New User
Rick
Maybe it's just tapatslk but most of the pictures are sideways. But wow, that is going to be some kind of lathe.

awldune

Sam
User
Well, that is a lot of progress in a very short time!!

So there will be a short bed for a tailstock? Sounds good. What swing do you plan for?

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
I will definitely incorporate a tail stock sitting on a 24" bed. The banjo will be in the 18" neighborhood. I still haven't decided on the final swing. Still reading, analyzing and taking suggestions. Had to make a trip to Wilmington yesterday so no progress. Hopefully I'll make it to the shop later today.
:banana:
Well, that is a lot of progress in a very short time!!

So there will be a short bed for a tailstock? Sounds good. What swing do you plan for?

gritz

New User
Robert
That's pretty ingenious...and impressive!
The top-heaviness would concern me, especially with an added 50# chunk of wood. Will it have some sort of sand-filled counterbalance and damper?

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
It will be anchored (bolts) to the floor

That's pretty ingenious...and impressive!
The top-heaviness would concern me, especially with an added 50# chunk of wood. Will it have some sort of sand-filled counterbalance and damper?

awldune

Sam
User
My lathe (Nova 1624) has a 16'' swing, it is not that often that I wish it was bigger. One nice thing about a big swing would be not having to worry about clearance for your banjo.

Since you are making this thing from scratch, I would think seriously about a longer bed. A 24'' bed does not give you much space between the faceplate/chuck and tailstock if you wanted to make any sort of deep bowl or vase, or do operations such as drilling with the tailstock. If you meant 24'' between centers, that is a great size for bowl turning. Also unless your tailstock design is super easy to remove from the lathe, a longer bed is nice for getting it out of the way.

Another suggestion -- don't put the only shutoff for the lathe on the headstock, where you would have to reach across the workpiece. If your bowl is coming loose in the chuck, it is much nicer to shut off the lathe from the tailstock end.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a Powermatic 3520B - it has a 20" swing by 35" between centers, hence the model number. I like the 20" swing but haven't really turned anything over 12" in diameter. Although I do have a faceplate mounted disc that is 20" diameter that can be used as a 20" disc sander with a platform I made.

Not really a recommendation on my part just a data point in what people are using. This is a very popular high-end lathe so a lot of people must like that size combination.

My impression is that most dedicated bowl lathes are even larger than a 20" swing.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
You could also consider filling the tubing with sand, shot, or concrete.
I was considering tire balancing weights, think that would work?

My lathe (Nova 1624) has a 16'' swing, it is not that often that I wish it was bigger. One nice thing about a big swing would be not having to worry about clearance for your banjo.
Currently planning on a 18" but maybe that's overkill?

Since you are making this thing from scratch, I would think seriously about a longer bed. A 24'' bed does not give you much space between the faceplate/chuck and tailstock if you wanted to make any sort of deep bowl or vase, or do operations such as drilling with the tailstock. If you meant 24'' between centers, that is a great size for bowl turning. Also unless your tailstock design is super easy to remove from the lathe, a longer bed is nice for getting it out of the way.
Too late... just finished welding the bed and it's < 24". The bed is constructed of two parallel 1x4" bar. (Will update photos tomorrow)

Another suggestion -- don't put the only shutoff for the lathe on the headstock, where you would have to reach across the workpiece. If your bowl is coming loose in the chuck, it is much nicer to shut off the lathe from the tailstock end.
Sounds like excellent advice which I will heed.

Last edited:

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
I have a Powermatic 3520B - it has a 20" swing by 35" between centers, hence the model number. I like the 20" swing but haven't really turned anything over 12" in diameter. Although I do have a faceplate mounted disc that is 20" diameter that can be used as a 20" disc sander with a platform I made.

Not really a recommendation on my part just a data point in what people are using. This is a very popular high-end lathe so a lot of people must like that size combination.

My impression is that most dedicated bowl lathes are even larger than a 20" swing.
This one will be in the neighborhood of 40" approximately 20" from bed to center of spindle. Did not measure the exact swing after I welded it up but will check tomorrow.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lead shot from the sporting goods store will be as good as tire weights and probably cheaper and smaller so you can pack them in better. I have a bucket of it I use for clock weights. Just don't spill it - a mess to clean up as it won't stick to a magnet.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Managed to fabricate the banjo today. The banjo is made of 3"X4"X1/4" tubes. A piece of 2" pipe is welded to the tubes to which I'll weld a 2"X8" stock with a 1" hole with a 7/16" set bolt for the tool rests. I apologize in advance for the side ways picture:D
attachment.php

Attachments

• Banjo 2.jpg
    Banjo 2.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 290
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS