bowl blanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn

New User
shawn
I have some dogwood and crape myrtle I was thinking of cutting into bowl blanks. I don't have a lathe, so I was wondering if anyone here would be interested.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I'm interested but would have to wait until I'm down your way. What kind of size are they?

awldune

Sam
User
I am too far away to take the wood, but I would encourage you not to cut the blanks to length. Both of those woods like to check.

karlkoch

New User
Karl
I would be interested in turning dogwood or crepe myrtle. Just got my first lathe last month and have been turning as much as possible. I live in New Bern. Do you have any left? Thanks.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I am too far away to take the wood, but I would encourage you not to cut the blanks to length. Both of those woods like to check.
Cut them to length and split or cut them down the middle, that will limit the amount checking since splitting eases the internal stresses due to drying and shrinking.

awldune

Sam
User
Cut them to length and split or cut them down the middle, that will limit the amount checking since splitting eases the internal stresses due to drying and shrinking.

Splitting down the middle definitely helps, yeah. But I would try to leave the sections as long as possible.

shawn

New User
shawn
20180811_075439.jpg

20180811_075434.jpg

20180811_075243.jpg

20180811_075229.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS