Bow saw

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Preferences for bow saws for pruning? I’m not taking down a forest, but just some light pruning around the yard.

Simple fiskers for $11
ACF3B4B3-312C-4314-9416-5E46350DBA9F.jpeg

Or bahco for $28
4E8E0A32-68A8-40BD-B928-9A8AA64F1314.jpeg

Or another brand?

I’ve only used one of these when cutting down Christmas trees. Does the handle really make that big of a difference? I know bahco is a recommended file brand, but does this also translate to saw blade quality?

RickR

Rick
Senior User
My preference for light pruning is not a bow saw at all, but something like this. Cuts on the pull and gets into tight spaces. Available in various sizes and folding or not.
1593355732737.png

Last edited:

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Thanks Rick! I was looking at that style as well.

Do you like the corona brand? I see folks prefer the corona or the tarvol brand on amazon. I’ve never used one but it seems similar to what’s on the pole pruner.

RickR

Rick
Senior User
I got the Corona because it is a reputable brand and was available locally. I would have preferred if they provided a sheath like the comparable Tarvol.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I have a Husqvarna pruning saw. The blade is 9" l, has 3 adjustable angles settings, and folds neatly into the handle so there's no sheath.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
My preference for light pruning is not a bow saw at all, but something like this. Cuts on the pull and gets into tight spaces. Available in various sizes and folding or not.
View attachment 194733
+1 for these for pruning it is less effort. if you are limbing a tree a 30-32" long topping axe is the way to go you can remove up to 3-4 inch limbs in a single hit with a sharp one.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I gave one kind of like the curved one above, Japanese style teeth, very clean cuts. I have a cordless pole saw, but very rough. I found my compound action pruners can do a lot more than one thinks. Lots of pruning as the PO did not maintain very well.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Thanks all!

Ended up getting the folding corona saw mentioned earlier. Looks like a common complaint is the teeth aren’t completely covered when closed. I do t plan on putting it in a backpack, so not an issue for me!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I like the curved pruning saw. The bow saws in my experience tend to wander so you end up with a curved cut in thicker branches. Also harder to squeeze into small spaces because of the bow.

Roy G

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
I use a Japanese woodworker saw Like you see at Woodcraft - it’s thin and pulls easy through the wood. Too lazy to go get anything heavier...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS