Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bow Saw build workshop
Saturday, June 16, 10am through finished probably about 4pm.
Cost, $30.00 donation to the web site, a material cost of $80.00 payable to me at the workshop.
location Bill Clemmons shop in Liberty NC
we can handle a total of 6 participants

This will be a hand tool workshop the tools needed will be marking knife, square, 1/4" mortise chisel, mortise gauge, marking gauge, 3/4" chisel, a coping saw, a spokeshave, a rasp, a small back saw (a small dovetail saw will work), a 1/4" bradpoint bit or a 1/4" bit and brace.
im sure if you don't have all these items listed that between myself other participants we can share. This is a fun workshop and you should walk away with a tool of a life time.
attachment.php

This is a pic of the saw we will build.

List:
Michael Mathews
David Justice

Attachments

• IMG_2647.JPG
    IMG_2647.JPG
    572.1 KB · Views: 405

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd be curious, What would it take to get a couple more participants?

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, guess I'll be over here talking to myself, so gentlemen message RECEIVED!

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Hey Richard, I meant to answer this morning, but got busy.

This has actually been on my mind for some time. My thought is folks aren’t familiar with what the capabilities of a a turning saw/bow saw are. The other day, somebody asked for recommendations of a 10” bandsaw. My first thought was this class and would the individual be better served by building a turning saw with Graywolf. Possibly, but without your (and the sharpening classes etc.) continued efforts, who is going to introduce the community to the excellence of these tools?

I’ve wondered if a basic hand planes class (block, smoother and Jack) would reach some new converts? You and I (and several others) grasp how just a few reasonably priced vintage hand tools can take a “machine” based woodworker to whole new levels, but it’s going to require your kind of effort to introduce folks to the idea.

In my own experience, an old close friend literally begged me to let him teach me about planes. He had a selection of fettled vintage Stanley planes that he offered to give me or sell cheap (some had premium modern replacement blades) to get me started. I repeatedly rejected his gracious offer. Too bad, I could have started using hand tools years sooner and worked alongside a great mentor.

Not sure if this helps, but like I said, it’s been on my mind for awhile. I think I saw Mike Davis or someone offering a sharpening class. Probably THE #1 reason folks are gun shy about hand tools.

Last edited:

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Somehow I missed this thread!

I was signed up before and I'd like to be added tentatively! <---- This is because last Friday two of our day electrical personnel were terminated. We are very shorthanded at the moment and now I have to be on-call every other weekend. I already have plans to be out of town during the June 8 weekend, so chances are very slim I'd be able to get the 16th off too. But, I will ask and see if the other guy can cover both weekends.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member

This has actually been on my mind for some time. My thought is folks aren’t familiar with what the capabilities of a a turning saw/bow saw are. The other day, somebody asked for recommendations of a 10” bandsaw. My first thought was this class and would the individual be better served by building a turning saw with Graywolf. Possibly, but without your (and the sharpening classes etc.) continued efforts, who is going to introduce the community to the excellence of these tools?

I’ve wondered if a basic hand planes class (block, smoother and Jack) would reach some new converts? You and I (and several others) grasp how just a few reasonably priced vintage hand tools can take a “machine” based woodworker to whole new levels, but it’s going to require your kind of effort to introduce folks to the idea.

In my own experience, an old close friend literally begged me to let him teach me about planes. He had a selection of fettled vintage Stanley planes that he offered to give me or sell cheap (some had premium modern replacement blades) to get me started. I repeatedly rejected his gracious offer. Too bad, I could have started using hand tools years sooner and worked alongside a great mentor.

Not sure if this helps, but like I said, it’s been on my mind for awhile. I think I saw Mike Davis or someone offering a sharpening class. Probably THE #1 reason folks are gun shy about hand tools.
i appreciate your kind words and thoughts. I've been thinking about this for sometime and I think there is a need to change a few things but I haven't made up my I mind as to how I'll do that

Somehow I missed this
I was signed up before and I'd like to be added tentatively! <---- This is because last Friday two of our day electrical personnel were terminated. We are very shorthanded at the moment and now I have to be on-call every other weekend. I already have plans to be out of town during the June 8 weekend, so chances are very slim I'd be able to get the 16th off too. But, I will ask and see if the other guy can cover both weekends.
Michael, I just got word that David has a family commitment as well. So as of tonight this workshop on this date is canceled do to lack of participants.
So I'll put it out there, what date works for you folks as to when we can have this workshop?

bash

New User
bash
Richard,
I hope you do continue to offer this class periodically, even if some sessions do not fly do to lack of participation. I would like to take the bow saw build workshop at some point, but have just started taking classes offered here. For my needs, I will prioritize taking Mike's sharpening class at this time. I need to be careful not to push how many Saturdays I carve out for classes. So, speaking for myself, the message is not now rather than not wanted. I want to thank you and everybody else who offer classes through the site.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
I can do the workshop on any other weekend in June or July. I really hope we can get it worked out and have the workshop!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

Well said! and thank you for that sentiment.
I know without Mike Davis' help, I would not be as far down this road as I am at this point. Now don't get me wrong, I have JUST started the journey and every time I pick up a vintage tool I am reminded of how it started and how I got where I am and it is founded in the willingness of people like Richard (Graywolf) and Mike Davis giving of themselves to help someone else along!

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'll say this June is out, that leaves July or later. I sure could use some date suggestions. Let's hears from you.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I've been on the fence myself, didn't quite know what a bowsaw was used for.

Finally found a video that wasn't on how to make a bowsaw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt7AFIRPvdU&t=9s

I've been making an effort to use tools that I bought then never got around to using before allowing myself to buy new ones. This class has fallen into that category for me, lol.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm closing this thread, I've asked a direct question simple as it gets and not one person saying they are interested has given an answer. So therefore no real interest. That's ok, I'll shelve this one, and I may or may not offer it again. I'll say this, I'm really disappointed here, I don't have to do this but I do want to. It's unfortunate and disheartening to feel as if you have to beg people to take a work shop and become better woodworkers. You don't want to learn from me, that's ok I can live with that, just remember I don't have to offer either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors