Bought a Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary_C

New User
Gary
Hi guys...new guy here....

Christmas was good to me...my wife picked up on my new interest in learning some woodworking....and a fascination for turned wood. So she bought me some tools...and suggested that my kids buy some tools...and told her brother to buy me a gift certificate to Klingspors...

Well I can take a hint!

So last weekend I bought a Rikon lathe and a Nova chuck...and I've been having a ball in my garage trying to make smooth cuts on spindles. You guys should get ready for some questions....

:gar-Bi

Gary_C

New User
Gary
what rikon did you buy ? and congrats

Got the 70-100. It seems to be a nice starter lathe. I had intended to buy a Jet since that's what I've used before...the last time I was in Klingspors they had the 1014 variable speed model on sale (about $100 off)...but when I went in to buy they told me the sale had ended and would not sell for that price. So I bought the Rikon.

I think it will be fine for my beginner practice spinning. I've heard that nobody ends up with only one lathe, so I didn't really sweat bullets making the choice....

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Gary, look into going to a meeting of the Woodturner's Guild. They used to meet at the NCSU Craft Center on the 2nd or 3rd Thursday of each month. They could help you out and answer all your questions. Also, get a book like keith Rowley's to show you some techniques. But, don't buy a bunch of tools until you find out what you need. It's too easy to end up with one of everything and find out most get left untouched.

Roy G

kclark

New User
Kevin
which nova chuck did you buy?
Woodcraft has this nova chuck on sale but I don't know much about the differences between chucks. I am looking at getting a chuck to try my hand at a bowl or two and see if it's my cup/bowl of tea.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Clark, the Nova Mini is a good chuck but it also depends on your lathe. That one come direct threaded for 1X8 and does not accept an insert. You don't say what size lathe you have but the Nova G3 is a nice mid-range, installs with an insert so it will fit any lathe if you change lathes. It will also accept some of the larger jaws that the Mini is not spec's for.
The service center has them reconditioned for $75 Reconditioned Products
Or you can get them on the bay (search Nova G3) for about $125 including insert and shipping.

btw, if you aren't familiar the Southern Piedmont Woodturners > Home meets in the Old Concord Courthouse 7:00 (upstairsauditorium) Next meeting next Tuesday (they don't have the full data on the web site yet for this year).

kclark

New User
Kevin
Clark, the Nova Mini is a good chuck but it also depends on your lathe. That one come direct threaded for 1X8 and does not accept an insert. You don't say what size lathe you have but the Nova G3 is a nice mid-range, installs with an insert so it will fit any lathe if you change lathes. It will also accept some of the larger jaws that the Mini is not spec's for.
The service center has them reconditioned for $75 Reconditioned Products
Or you can get them on the bay (search Nova G3) for about $125 including insert and shipping.

btw, if you aren't familiar the Southern Piedmont Woodturners > Home meets in the Old Concord Courthouse 7:00 (upstairsauditorium) Next meeting next Tuesday (they don't have the full data on the web site yet for this year).

I have been interested in attending SPW for some time. I will try to make it if my schedule allows. I bought a Rikon 70-050VS, it was on sale at Woodcraft in Matthews. I have enjoyed it so far with the little piddling that I have done in the last 2 weeks. I don't know what chuck would be best, but I would like to get one to turn a bowl or 2.

I have been interested in attending SPW for some time. I will try to make it if my schedule allows. I bought a Rikon 70-050VS, it was on sale at Woodcraft in Matthews. I have enjoyed it so far with the little piddling that I have done in the last 2 weeks. I don't know what chuck would be best, but I would like to get one to turn a bowl or 2.

I just got picked up a Rikon today.... you are such a great motivator to get me spending more money

Gary_C

New User
Gary
which nova chuck did you buy?
Woodcraft has this nova chuck on sale but I don't know much about the differences between chucks. I am looking at getting a chuck to try my hand at a bowl or two and see if it's my cup/bowl of tea.

I went to Woodcraft to get that chuck when I saw it was on sale...and they suggested the G3 was a better chuck....and had a few packages left over from the holiday promotion. It was the G3 with four jaws...a 25, 50, a pin jaw and a cole jaw set. I've only tried the 50 mm but so far so good...

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'm sorry you bought a lathe - is it to late to take it back? you could always try and sell it on craigslist or you could give it to someone you don't like.

navy1990

New User
Matt
From one woodturner to another (and I have nowhere near the skills as Darth Earl), welcome to the forum and to the vortex.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I'm sorry you bought a lathe - is it to late to take it back? you could always try and sell it on craigslist or you could give it to someone you don't like.

I concur. The swirling vortex is never ending! With a safe piece of flat wood, you know when you reach the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors