Bosch ROS65VC

ste6168

New User
Mike
Hi all- I have a gift card to Lowes, and have decided to get a good ROS, and settled with the ROS65VC by Bosch. Reviews are great across the board, for the most part. I am trying to decide on the 5" vs 6" size. They are pretty comparable in price, so thats a non-issue. The 6" discs are a bit more money. I currently have a 5" Bosch, lower end sander as well as the 6" Bosch 1250DEVS that I use for heavy stock removal when necessary. All that said, any recommendations on going for the 5" or 6" pad size, and why?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I don't have that sander so cannot speak from experience. I do have a Bosch palm finishing sander I really like. But, looking at the product description on Lowe's that sander can use either 5" or 6" pads and paper. The 6" backing pad is only $14.59 on Amazon. So buy the sander in either size available and then buy the other backing pad and some paper. It seems pretty economical to have both sizes, try them out and decide later which you prefer for what jobs.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have both the 5" Bosch (ROS20VSC) and the ROS65VC (6" pad). The reason I went for the 6" is that I already had a 5" sander, and wanted something larger for sanding cutting boards, large panels etc. The discs may be slightly more expensive, but you cover a lot more area with a 6" sander.

I'm not sure whether to recommend the 5" or 6", given that you already have both sizes. If you only use the 1250DEVS for heavy stock removal, then the ROS65VC would complement it for finish sanding. How happy are you with the 5" Bosch? If it doesn't meet your needs, and most of the items you're sanding will be smaller, go with 5" version. If you're fine using the ROS20VSC for smaller items but want a finishing sander for large pieces, then go with the 6" version.

Or buy two, one in each size :)

ste6168

New User
Mike
I don't have that sander so cannot speak from experience. I do have a Bosch palm finishing sander I really like. But, looking at the product description on Lowe's that sander can use either 5" or 6" pads and paper. The 6" backing pad is only $14.59 on Amazon. So buy the sander in either size available and then buy the other backing pad and some paper. It seems pretty economical to have both sizes, try them out and decide later which you prefer for what jobs.

So, interesting point, something that I didn't think of. The pads themselves are interchangeable, and I have the hard and soft 6" pad for the 1250DEVS sander. In looking at Amazon, seems those pads are compatible with both the 1250DEVS and the ROS65VC. So, that said, it would only make sense for me to get the 5" version and if/when I need the bigger pad, simple.

Thanks for bringing that up, probably wouldn't have thought of that, otherwise.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 3.05.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 3.05.00 PM.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 116

ste6168

New User
Mike
I have both the 5" Bosch (ROS20VSC) and the ROS65VC (6" pad). The reason I went for the 6" is that I already had a 5" sander, and wanted something larger for sanding cutting boards, large panels etc. The discs may be slightly more expensive, but you cover a lot more area with a 6" sander.

I'm not sure whether to recommend the 5" or 6", given that you already have both sizes. If you only use the 1250DEVS for heavy stock removal, then the ROS65VC would complement it for finish sanding. How happy are you with the 5" Bosch? If it doesn't meet your needs, and most of the items you're sanding will be smaller, go with 5" version. If you're fine using the ROS20VSC for smaller items but want a finishing sander for large pieces, then go with the 6" version.

Or buy two, one in each size :)

I think that is the 5" sander I have as well, around $50 or so. I am happy with that sander overall, mainly use it for finish sanding 120 grit and higher. I have just heard really good things about the vibration dampening in the ROS65vc model, that makes the "sting arm" almost non-existent. Being you have one of each, would you agree?

llucas

luke
Senior User
A few years ago, i bought the ROS65vc with 6" pad. best sander I have. The vibration dampening is the real deal. It is multispeed, good dust control even without vacuum (the dust-tube thingy does a pretty good job. I later bought a 5" pad, which I have used twice, and found that I really could do all I wanted faster with the 6". I have a 5" festool ets 125 that I don't like as much, even for finish sanding.
It's a little clunky getting into tight spots, but if it breaks I will quickly get another without a second thought.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think that is the 5" sander I have as well, around $50 or so. I am happy with that sander overall, mainly use it for finish sanding 120 grit and higher. I have just heard really good things about the vibration dampening in the ROS65vc model, that makes the "sting arm" almost non-existent. Being you have one of each, would you agree?
I like the ROS65VC a lot. I sanded a large panel (3'x3) yesterday, both sides, all the way up to 220 grit, and did not have the that "sting arm"/ "vibration numbness"/ "weird sand feeling in your fingertips" problem. It still doesn't make sanding fun, but it makes it bearable.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Well, I put way too much thought into this... Seems that only the 6" version is available through Lowes any longer, so that is what I wen't with. Nice knowing that I can add the 5" pad, if I feel the need. I think having mostly 6" pads, between this and the 1250DEVS sander will be a good compliment for each other.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I could not be more pleased with my ROS65VC! When, on occasion, I go back to my 5" Porter Cable ROS, I feel as if I'm using a miniature vibration torture device.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I'm not sure I see the point of getting the ROS65VC if you have the 1250DEVS. They weigh the same and the orbit of the ROS65VC is only 1/64 inch less than the 1250. I don't find the 1250 hard to use, even one handed. The shape of the 65 probably makes it easier to control one handed, however. Some people believe smaller orbit leaves less swirl marks. I haven't had a problem with that with the 1250. Bigger orbit seems to lead to quicker stock removal.

I'm sure it's a nice sander but it is also another pretty big sander.

ste6168

New User
Mike
I'm not sure I see the point of getting the ROS65VC if you have the 1250DEVS. They weigh the same and the orbit of the ROS65VC is only 1/64 inch less than the 1250. I don't find the 1250 hard to use, even one handed. The shape of the 65 probably makes it easier to control one handed, however. Some people believe smaller orbit leaves less swirl marks. I haven't had a problem with that with the 1250. Bigger orbit seems to lead to quicker stock removal.

I'm sure it's a nice sander but it is also another pretty big sander.

I think for me, the vibration control is why I want the ROS65VC. I currently use the 1250DEVS for mainly heavy stock removal, I couldn’t really imagine using it for long periods like finish sanding. Right now I use a cheap Bosch 5” for that, and while it works fine, I think the vibration control on this new one will help For long periods of sanding.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS