Borrow a Lathe for a few hours in CLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
Hey, just a thought, and some of you may already do this... What if we had a shop experience section where we post what tools we have in our shop. This would be great for the woodworker looking to buy some equipment but not being able to touch or run it. We'd get a large selection of tools I'm sure for the community to try before they buy.... Someone could say, hey I'm thinking about buying a .... and am deciding between these models or in this price range, than others can chime in with.. I've got one of the... come on over and I can show it off...

I'm going to be needing a lathe soon and would love to try some out. I dont have any experience with one, so I'd need someone to hold my hand. I have some pieces of a drum (walnut) I'd like to lathe before I finish it up, 13.5" diameter x 24" long. I usually use a hand plane and belt sander to get these round after I glue up, but when I get large orders like I've just finished up, I'm thinking a lathe would pay for itself in time saved... but then I've never ran one so I dont know how long it would take. Would also be willing to pay for someone to show me their lathe and how to run it, and to give me some "shop hours" every once in a while when I want to try out a new idea, or need to round some shells...

Also, I don't do too much carving though I think I'll really enjoy it. When I look at drum shells like these:

http://www.rhythmhousedrums.com/lenke-djembe-1122-p-192.html

I really would love to learn and put some of these carvings on the djembes I construct. To me it looks like large chip carving... but I know chisels are used... just don't know which ones or how. I do know that these woods are extremely dense... anyone think they could look at a few shells and offer some advice?

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Kevin,
interesting website you have there.Nice litle business you've got.I have a Jet 16/42 but I'm up in Mooresville,north of Charlotte off 77.Sounds like you should have grabbed a 3520 when Powermatic had there end of year sale.Anyway,I'm here if that helps you out .PM me and I will get you a phone number.I don't know where you get your walnut but there is a Source also in Mooresville.Talk to you later,
Greg

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
cool, thanks. My end of year purchases were all consumed with a 3hp sawstop :) (And a baby on Dec. 22)

It'll be a while before I can throw down the cash for a lathe... but it is my next tool to purchase.

It will be a bit hard for me to get up to Moorseville right now (two jobs and a new baby), but thanks for the offer. When I get closer to getting a lathe, I'll get up with you and see if the offer still stands so I can take a look at it.... that is one of the models I've been eying.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i'd check out charlotte woodturners or charlotte woodworkers assoc. the woodturns have a lathe that will do what you need.

i'm pretty sure they have some open shop time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS