Book Shelf....Some flat work Finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Everyone,

Remember when I made the cabinet for the wall out of MDF with a Hardboard backing.

Welp I converted it into a Bookshelf and added Cherry trim.

The top/front piece is one solid piece.

Comments/opinions welcome, Good or Bad~! :gar-Bi

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
No bad comments here, that looks great! I really like accent of the cherry trim. :icon_thum

Thanks Trent, I guess your the only one that like it, :gar-La; :rotflm: Beside my wife as there's no other comments.

Must have been a slow NCWW day :rotflm:

Na it's not the best and nothing to really make a fuss over, just thought I would share.

Thanks for your comment, Your ROCK~!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Thanks Trent, I guess your the only one that like it, :gar-La; :rotflm: Beside my wife as there's no other comments.

Must have been a slow North Carolina Woodworker day :rotflm:

Na it's not the best and nothing to really make a fuss over, just thought I would share.

Thanks for your comment, Your ROCK~!

Well I like it, I think it has a real nice contrast :thumbs_up

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
nice work. the cherry has some nice color and a little figure.:icon_thum clean lines and a good finish make it complete.:eusa_clap

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
The cherry sets t off, and gives it a finished look.
But you better be careful and not do too much flat work.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
The cherry sets t off, and gives it a finished look.
But you better be careful and not do too much flat work.

Thanks Earl, My Wife Rachel picked out the color and the wood. I thought it would have looked nice with Walnut, but with the paint color it just didn't look right and the Cherry matched well.

What do you mean I shouldn't do too much flat work? :icon_scra

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The only way I can make clean miters like that is when doing baseboard...so I can caulk things afterward :) Very nice looking bookshelf, how did you attach the face frame?

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
The only way I can make clean miters like that is when doing baseboard...so I can caulk things afterward :) Very nice looking bookshelf, how did you attach the face frame?

I applied TB3 to the MDF's edge and waited a little bit for it to dry a little as it soaks up glue, then added a little more TB3 and put some on the Cherry. I did have a small cut/dado in the middle of the cherry about 1/16th for more glue surface and hold strength....Hopefully. :dontknow:

Will see in a few months how it holds up~! :gar-La;

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
That has a really 'clean' look to it. Normally, I don't care for the two-tone look, but that is nice!!

Can you describe your finish process?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
The bookcase will provide plenty of service!

I did a couple for my daughter a couple of years back. The only difference is I used Borg plywood painted white for the carcase and red oak for facing the shelves and solid oak tops.

They are still in service, after about 6 years....

Bookcase_1.jpg

I really like the cherry accent faces!:icon_thum:icon_thum

I think it looks great!

Wayne

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
That has a really 'clean' look to it. Normally, I don't care for the two-tone look, but that is nice!!

Can you describe your finish process?

I sanded it up too 320. Then used 0000 steel wool, used a tac cloth to get all dust off. Used BLO waited about 5 minutes, wiped off excess. Waited 24+ hrs. Added some Danish oil made by me Poly and BLO. The Cherry didn't seem to like it. Waited another 24+ hrs wiped it down with 0000 steel wool again and wiped on some more BLO waited 5 minutes and wiped off excess.

I was thinking of wiping some Wundercote on it as I have it on hand? :eusa_thin, But I really like the feel of the real wood.:wink_smil :icon_thum

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I am in process on a bookshelf, but it will not hold a candle to yours.
James

Ah your too Kind James. I am sure your will look better than mine. Now I was lucky and got some Beautiful Cherry. I'll have to take some closer pictures to show off the grain better, it's amazing, at least I think so.

The bookcase will provide plenty of service!

I did a couple for my daughter a couple of years back. The only difference is I used Borg plywood painted white for the carcase and red oak for facing the shelves and solid oak tops.

They are still in service, after about 6 years....

Bookcase_1.jpg

I really like the cherry accent faces!:icon_thum:icon_thum

I think it looks great!

Wayne

Dang Wayne,

Your's Looks Well Built And I like how you made it with a solid top and the molding at the bottom, I think I may have to add some to mine~! Very Nice.

Thanks for the Nice comment, I like the Cherry accent faces as well.

Plus I am sure that BORG plywood will hold up better than the MDF as far as bowing. I'm hoping the Cherry stops that, but you never know.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Wow!! That sure is prettier than the carcass I saw in your shop a bit ago. Great job, Matt!!

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS