Boiled linseed oil ...The real deal

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Just a quick post about BLO. This goes to finishing with it. Most, if not all commercially sold is not really boiled, but rather, treated with a chemicals usually, cobalt or other similar metallic salts that more or less accomplish the same thing, reducing drying time.
I would recommend sometimes getting raw linseed oil and boiling it yourself. Reason being, Then, if you add something like Japan drier to the BLO, you it you get a better reaction/response (shortening the drying time).
To boil raw BLO just put in a pan and slowly` raise the temperature until it is 300-335f then keep it simmering for 20-25 min at that temp.
Let it cool and done! Recommendation ... Use a Goodwill pot...not one of your cooking ones. Then, your spouse will not give you the stink eye.

Last edited:

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
There is ONE brand of BLO that is actually boiled with no chemical dryers... Circa 1850 BLO:

It's manufactured in Toronto and it used to not be available in the states so i bought a gallon before I moved back here. I just looked though and it seems they're now selling mail order in the USA. Good product, can recommend, but it takes maybe a day longer to dry than the toxic stuff.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Tried and True doesn't use chemical dryers.

Oh good to know! I know about tried and true but I thought Danish oil meant blo plus a varnish. It seems that for them it's just blo.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS