Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
The Board of Directors held an in person meeting today and among the topics of discussion was the need to have an open conference call type meeting that would include all of the BOD and Staff. The proposed conference call would include the entire staff of North Carolina Woodworker and should take place within the next thirty-forty five days. The Bod has had a good deal of success with this type of meeting over the last several months. Travis has offered his Bridge for the meeting. I would like to start a discussion that will serve as a prerequisite for the topics that should be discussed in this teleconference. There are several topics that the Board and several of the staff feel a need to discuss. The main one being moderation practices and guidelines. We all need to be on the same page and we all need to perform our duties in the best interest of North Carolina Woodworker. The best time that the BOD have found for these teleconferences to happen is usually between the hours of 7:00 PM and 9:00 PM during the week. Thursday evenings have in the past proven a good time. We would like all of the staff to be on this conference call. I will attach a poll to this thread so all can vote on the best time for a meeting. Please respond with issues that you feel need to be discussed. Let's make this first meeting a great success.

Based on the responses in this thread this will be the topics of discussion for the call.

Bridge Number to call: 1 866-222-8883. Once answered enter 206706 followed by the # key.

Agenda to be discussed:

Roll Call by TracyP

Opening statement by TracyP

A word or two from the President of North Carolina Woodworker Douglas Robinson

Open Discussion

Topics brought forward by Staff Members:
1)
- Site change review/feedback/comments by Froglips
2)- Planning by Froglips
3)- Website "Look and Feel" committee by Froglips
4)- Next Donation Drive by Toolman
5)- A clear, concise and brief explanation of steps to be taken for the handling of and subsequent suspension of policy violators.( May need to be made public either in the terms of membership or in a general location on the site or maybe both.) by B4man
6)-Review of requirements for membership. Geography based as created in the inception of North Carolina Woodworker,
The possibility of an Auxiliary membership for those outside the NC,SC,VA,WV,TN area. ?? Or ignore
past tradition and accept applications from anywhere in the southeast. ?? by B4man
7) Moderation practices and guidelines to follow by TracyP
8 ) Add on Topics
9) Closing Questions by TracyP
10) Closing statement from President Douglas Robinson, May Include Discussion on the situation with Jeff Mills.

Last edited:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Re: BOD, Staff Conference Call Meeting

Tracy....

Normally I'm picking up two shifts at the grocery store, one on Tuesday and the other on Thursday. If another night won't work, I might be able to get off if I have enough notice (two weeks would be great).

I'll do my best to be there.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Excellent, now my jokes can be heard with all the proper inflection.....

Mondays and second and fourth Tuesdays are out for me from 5-9:30. TWA also meets on Tuesday once a month.

We have the New Member Chat locked in Thursdays 7:30 - 9. Its drawing 20+ people over the course of the chat. I can juggle a chat and phone conf. or we could move it.

Which, sort of leaves Wed, Friday or sometime on the weekend.

Issues on my plate:

- Site change review/feedback/comments
Bottom line, most changes that get posted have little comment. The last one was the Goldsboro Shop Crawl Box. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f92/help-desk-promote-event-goldsboro-shop-crawl-28594/

Chad and I repeatedly asked for comment. I do appreciate Dennis commenting.

I don't believe silence should serve as approval.

- Planning
There is a pattern that I believe needs to be addressed between the Board and Staff. Over the last year, a number of major activities were announced without involvement of the Staff.

I don't wish to point fingers, but I can't make this broad of a comment without details. The Raffle was announced to the whole site before the Staff was asked to setup the Paypal code. I scrambled to make something work.

The raffle was worked on (and wonderfully) well in advance of its announcement. We were put in the embarrassing position of holding up raffle ticket sales. It also led to several public iterations of the Paypal code that led to confusion.

I don't mean to single out the raffle, as this has been a trend on other activities.

What I'd ask is that the Staff be included and given time to setup and test any necessary changes before major public activities are announced. It also gives enough time for peer review and improvements.

- Website "Look and Feel" committee
Yes, I love committees. I think it would be great to have some interested folks serve as protectors of the NCWW Style. Steve Coles and I have talked before about this. He setup the site as best as he could, mostly focused on function over form.

I think it would be very helpful to have a group who made sure we did things the "NCWW Way". It also might include a better definition of what the NCWW Way is....

Thanks,
Jim

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member

Please understand that the BoD does not have problems with the staff. We feel that we need to have your input to better serve the needs of the membership and the goals of the organization. I do not know if the entire BoD will be able to be on the call, but at the very least Tracy and I will be. I will try to accommodate whatever night works out best for the majority if not all of the moderators and admins. Please post any issue you would like to discuss here. Tracy is leading this effort.

Thanks in advance, and for all you do.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Ditto Doug's comments. This meeting is about inclusion of the moderator's, admins, etc.

Jim, your comments on inclusion and the example of the raffle is a very good point i can't say that we had considered before, and that we should have considered.

toolman

Administrator
Chad

Fridays are not good for me, that is my family time.

Issues on my plate:

- Site change review/feedback/comments
Bottom line, most changes that get posted have little comment. The last one was the Goldsboro Shop Crawl Box. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f92/help-desk-promote-event-goldsboro-shop-crawl-28594/

Chad and I repeatedly asked for comment. I do appreciate Dennis commenting.

I don't believe silence should serve as approval.

I am with Jim on this one!. Also our we going to have a Donation drive in Jan.???

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

I also want to echo Doug's comments. The BoD has no issues with the mods or staff. We want to share our thoughts and ideas with you as well as get your thoughts and ideas on various topics important to NCWW. After all the Mods, Staff and BoD are some of the most active NCWW members.

woodArtz

New User
Bob

Sounds like a great opportunity to get everyone synced up. Thanks for putting this together, guys.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

I am glad my comments were received in the spirit I meant them.

I've been eagerly awaiting this invitation. I realize the Board has a lot on their plates that the Staff is insulated from (and boy do I appreciate that!).

Looking forward to the call.

Thanks!
Jim

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

I'll echo the comments of my fellow BOD members, if there is a statement that could be used to describe the attitide of the BOD members towards the staff, it woudl be "respect and admiration".

Unfortunately, we have not done a good job of conveying that, nor giving the staff a "heads up" regarding upcoming events. Great point Jim, and thanks for sharing.

Scott

NZAPP1

New User
Nick

I have voted for Thursday and will try to make what ever day we decide to hold the meeting but can not predict what will be going on with work. I am on call 24x7

TracyP

Tracy

Thanks folks for chiming in. We as the BOD have without a doubt or without intention excluded the Staff in the decisions we have made. We acknowledge this and wish to include the Staff in future decisions. Several of the Staff have brought this to my attention in the past and I overlooked the importance of that. I will take full responsibility for letting that happen. In going forward I feel the Staff should and will be included in the decision making process. I encourage all of the Staff to participate in this first meeting and all future meetings of this nature.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

I am really flexible, Tracy!:wsmile:

Anytime would be fine with me andI also think it is a great idea.

Wayne

b4man

New User
Barbara

Tracy,
Will this be the thread we'll use to shout out topics/concerns/ etc. or do you plan on opening another thread after voting is complete?

I, BTW can make it work anytime as far as I can see into the future and thanks for the opportunity to work together.

Barbara

TracyP

Tracy

This is where I would like to keep the ideas so things are not scattered out. I want this thread to run this week and maybe plan the call for early next week. So gather your ideas and post them here and we will try to get them all discussed. Thanks for participating.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member

If it's going to be next week, let me know ASAP. I'll call the boss man and request off.

b4man

New User
Barbara

Agenda items I'd like to see addressed;

1. A clear, concise and brief explanation of steps to be taken for the handling of and subsequent suspension of policy violators.( May need to be made public either in the terms of membership or in a general location on the site or maybe both.)

To include maximum number of infractions;
a) in a specific time period
b) overall length of membership
c) obvious intent

A list of who has the authority to perform termination or suspension. Maybe listed in the staff forum only.

2. Review of requirements for membership. Geography based as created in the inception of North Carolina Woodworker,
The possibility of an Auxiliary membership for those outside the NC,SC,VA,WV,TN area. ?? Or ignore
past tradition and accept applications from anywhere in the southeast. ??

I will limit my suggestions to these two items. Anyone wishing to cut and paste additions or deletions to my post are welcome to do so.

Barbara

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member

Has everybody chimed in yet as to which days work best for them? If not who is left. We need to find a time for this with enough heads-up.

Thanks

Glennbear

Glenn

Financial circumstances have changed so I find it necessary to "unretire". So far I have not found a job so I responded "any time" in the poll. A matter which I think should be addressed is the apparent lack of readership of our NCWW policy and ways that could be changed. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors