Bob's cnc

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
Does anyone have a Bob"s cnc or know anything about them? I am looking to dip my toe in the cnc pond and I am looking for a cnc to learn on.
Thanks,
Ron

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Personally I would look else where -

All wood construction
Belts
From his site "Our CNC Routers use a DeWalt spindle, which comes with a 1/8" and 1/4" collets"
All his pictures show a Makita Router or Makita trim router.
Dewalt (to my knowledge) doesn't make a spindle.
1/8" or 1/4" collets - That is very limiting. I am using a Hitachi router, but can except all sizes from 3mm to 1/2" with a precise router collet.
No mention of speeds capable

Just my 2 cents.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I'd suggest something other than a wood frame if you plan on doing anything that requires any degree of precision or repeatability. We all love wood, but wood has it's place and precision machinery isn't it.
For the most maintenance free operation, go with acme screws, not belts.

You now have 4 cents - :)

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
What machine would either of you suggest?

What's your budget? That's one of the biggest deciding factors in recommending a CNC. A $2000 CNC is much different than a $10,000 CNC. I got a 4x8 ShopBot CNC a few years back, picked up used, and so glad I didn't get anything smaller. I never would have been happy with a lower price lower end CNC so I took my budget and found a used one. No regrets.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I have an Axiom pro with spindle. 24 x 36, but with the right cutting strategy you can do larger pieces. Amazingly accurate and solid. Not cheap (I think it was about $6k, probably more now), but since I sell my work was able to write it off very quickly. If you need to cut full sheets of ply, go for a bigger bed - but I've had to job shop only part of one project out in the 5 years I've been running. Everything else has fit on a 24 x 36. Dont forget that the cut size is not the total footprint - you need to access at least 3 sides. So the size of your shop matters.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I purchased a Shapeoko a few months back and have never really used it. Of course I purchased all the bells and whistles along with various quality cutters. I am not a computer person and it frustrates me to the point of pulling what little hair I have out along with the fact that I really do not have a use for it given the type work I do. I spent many hours meticulously assembling it. I have close to 2000 invested and would like to find it a new home. All American made and high quality and comes with all the programing. See it @ carbide3d.com.

Attachments

• 31EF14B8-94DC-4F11-84DB-554E3EAD74F2.jpeg
    31EF14B8-94DC-4F11-84DB-554E3EAD74F2.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 139
  • 9D0E2EF3-BB7C-48C6-AB2D-5541CD137250.jpeg
    9D0E2EF3-BB7C-48C6-AB2D-5541CD137250.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 148
  • 01F8CC21-62ED-4F68-A6F3-95A84E20DC11.jpeg
    01F8CC21-62ED-4F68-A6F3-95A84E20DC11.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 144

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I purchased a Shapeoko a few months back and have never really used it. Of course I purchased all the bells and whistles along with various quality cutters. I am not a computer person and it frustrates me to the point of pulling what little hair I have out along with the fact that I really do not have a use for it given the type work I do. I spent many hours meticulously assembling it. I have close to 2000 invested and would like to find it a new home. All American made and high quality and comes with all the programing. See it @ carbide3d.com.
I gotta ask, if youre not a computer person, and you admittedly have no use for it, why did you buy it?

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
I have a 3' x 4' home built CNC that I've been running for almost 10 years, and just in the last 2 months rebuilt it with all new electronics and control system.

I helped a friend of a friend get his 4' x 8' Bob's CNC running and set up...just my opinion, if I was jumping into CNC I wouldn't consider any machine made of wood...there is too much flexing going on caused by temperature and humidity changes, to allow for any kind of repeatable accuracy...plus, these machines are assembled with bolts and captive nuts...over time (and not much) as the wood dries out, all the bolts will loosen and cause problems.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Does anyone have a Bob"s cnc or know anything about them? I am looking to dip my toe in the cnc pond and I am looking for a cnc to learn on.
Thanks,
Ron
In order to determine your needs , first determine your wants. What do you WANT to make with a CNC?. How much do you WANT to spend?. How much time do you WANT to invest?. What do you make in your shop currently they you WANT to improve?.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS