Boat Shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck1999

Chris
User
Some one has asked me If I would make them one of these. It will be about 6ft tall and 24 -30 inches wide.

boatshelves.jpg

View image in gallery

I was wondering what you all thought I should use for the sides. I am thinking 1/4 plywood. Would that give enough strength to hold the shelves? I was planning on screwing and gluing the sides to the shelves and then also putting supports under the shelves on the side and back. Will this be sufficient to hold the weight.

I would like to go thicker but did not know if I could bend the plywood to make the curve.

Chris

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
You could always laminate since the gunwales (really face frames in this case, I guess) will hide the edges.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
CK: Go to a real lumberyard/ supplier. They make a "bending plywood" thus you may be able to go with thicker sides as you want. :gar-Bi

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
AFAIK, bending plywood only comes in thin sheets, costs significantly more than regular but can do pretty severe bends (like making columns), which justifies the cost. This minor bend you can do with "regular" ply but you will want to get reasonable quality or you might get a crease at an interior void.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
formup/laminate couple of sheets and should be good to go :gar-Bi. Good Ole t'bondII toss away rollers, form it oversize, etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors