Blowing Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemeleon

Administrator
Matt
I’d had the idea for this one bouncing around for most the past year, finally got around to it this December. Originally I was thinking I might try taking it to a local store to sell, but it had a few more flaws than I was happy with for that situation, and I had no other ideas for my mother’s Christmas present this year, so its staying in the family.

Floating top hall table with hickory top and walnut inlay and legs, capped with more hickory for the feet. I did the inlays on my cnc router, but it has a little flex that resulted in gaps I had to fill with epoxy mixed with walnut dust. Its subtle, but I can see the lines it left, which bugs me a bit. Finish is just 3 coats of generic floor poly buffed out to 1000 grit after a few days of curing.

The alternating waves to the stretcher were done partly to tie into the inlay, but also because they hide any variation in their curves. I didn’t feel like making a template and routing them all to match, so I just bandsawed and sanded them similarly, the alternating waves hides any discrepancy there quite nicely.

blowingLeaves_done1.jpgblowingLeaves_done2.jpgblowingLeaves_done3.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Matt,
That is gorgeous!
I am sure your Mother is very appreciative!

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Matt,

This is amazing. The hickory and walnut compliment each other very well. I also like the design of the stetchers.

Steve H.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I thought this was going to be about blowing leaves in the yard, I had a few things to say, but now I am speechless.

Chemeleon

Administrator
Matt
Thanks everyone :)

What do you have for a CNC machine? Is it used exclusively for woodworking?
My current machine is a homebuilt one using MDF. The main issue with it, is the Z carriage isn't stiff enough, so when it changes direction, it flexes to a slightly different angle. I've got a second, massively heavier duty but smaller one I designed I need to finish up soon to go on my desk that I'll be using for things like the dovetail guides I plan to sell. After its done, I've got a few ideas to try to boost the strength of the bigger MDF one.

The MDF one is definitely wood only, way too much flex for any metal work. The new one though should handle anything I throw at it.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone :)

My current machine is a homebuilt one using MDF. The main issue with it, is the Z carriage isn't stiff enough, so when it changes direction, it flexes to a slightly different angle. I've got a second, massively heavier duty but smaller one I designed I need to finish up soon to go on my desk that I'll be using for things like the dovetail guides I plan to sell. After its done, I've got a few ideas to try to boost the strength of the bigger MDF one.

The MDF one is definitely wood only, way too much flex for any metal work. The new one though should handle anything I throw at it.

That gives me an idea. Maybe I could take all those parts for a robot build that I never got around to and use them to make a CNC machine. Hmmm. I'd be interested in some pics of yours if you'd care to share them.

Oh, and very nice table - like the inlay and the stretchers. Also the choice of woods.

Cheers - Ken.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Awesome work - i wished i knew how to inlay but dont even know where to begin even after reading several books on the subject its still a mystery to me.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great work and the contrast really makes it a nice piece of furniture to look at.

Chemeleon

Administrator
Matt
That gives me an idea. Maybe I could take all those parts for a robot build that I never got around to and use them to make a CNC machine.

Depends on the parts you have, but its very possible. Generally speaking, you'd need 3 or 4 nema23 steppers (and their drivers/power supply/breakout board), some acme leadscrews and matching nuts, and some decent linear slides.

I've been documenting this build, plan is to do a completely book quality writeup for it. Actually, plan was to just writeup instructions, but I'm at 20+ pages of pure text, and still have to do the leadscrews and electronics, as well as add all the pictures, so I suspect its going to be around 100 pages all told. The base design is relatively small as its going to go on my desk, has a cut area of 12"x12"x3". However, its so massively overbuilt, you could extend it a couple feet in both X and Y with no real changes to design other than the lengths of material. My estimates say about $50 more per foot in either axis, on top of the base cost of approximately $1000 for the 12x12 build.

I'm hoping to get most of the leadscrew stuff done this weekend, but here's how its looking so far with all the framing and slides done:
tableMounted.jpg

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
very nice Matt..the hickory is awesome.....very nice piece
:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors