SOLD Blow-out hand tool garage sale - Nov.7

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
I’m going to do it. I’m cleaning out most everything from my workshop. I’m only keeping one simple set of tools and my bench. Everything else must go.

wooden planes
metal planes
Knight Toolworks wooden planes
saws
chisels
braces
bits (Irwin, spoon, center, Jennings)
Assorted stuff.
collectable, user and parts.

My wife will also be selling very nice women’s clothing and costume jewelry, so make it a couple’s morning out!

I’ll take pictures this coming weekend and post them. More information as the time gets closer.

I‘m located near Southpoint Mall in Durham. Precise directions and times the night before.

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
$3 honing guides, $8 vintage chisels, $18 ratcheting brace, ...

and even some clamps (can never have too many of those)

pictures later today.

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
Ok, I have some photos. This is not everything. I still have to go through the chisels, the bits (I know I have some center bits and spoon bits for chair makers) and assorted stuff.

As you can see in the first picture, I have marking tools, including my oldest, a sliding bevel I believe is late 18th-early 19th-century. Also in that picture some whetstones from a local quarry that was active in the mid-19th-century. (I'll tell you the story for free). In the same picture are some clamps, some shellac flakes, a couple of interesting planes, a Detroit Twist Drill Co. drill gauge and some aluminum winding sticks.

In the next picture I've got lots of planes. The woodie on the far right is a very special one. Anyone who was active in the Old Tools forum (Galoots!) in the late 90's will remember Steve Knight and his Knight toolworks. He made these amazing wooden planes for a fairly short time. He used super quality wood and amazing, massive irons hardened to RC 62 so they take a super sharp edge and hold it well.

This one I had made for me. I'm keeping my Ipe jack plane from him, but I already have another jointer that is amazing, so I'm letting this one go. It's mostly made of laminated rock maple and is a sweet jointer plane. it's also a beauty.

The #4's include a couple of Stanleys (including a Sweetheart), a Miller Falls and a couple of Sargents. All are intact, just need some sharpening to get going. The #6C and #7C are a Miller Falls and a Sargent made for early Craftsman brand. I have more wooden planes besides these. Most interesting one of the wooden planes is the large H. Chapin complex molding plane. The wood is in good condition and the iron is near new.

There's also the Ohio Tools wooden scraper plane that you see in my avatar. To round it out are a couple of big wood jointers and a wonderful little German scrub plane with a fabulous laminated Peugeot Freres iron.

In the last picture are five different saw sets, all work, and some saws, including a Disston D-8, an Atkins that needs some de-rusting, and even one of the last Disston saws made, a Teflon-coated saw made after Disston was bought by H.K. Porter. This came from my late father-in-law's house, and he worked for H.K. Porter for a while in the 60's. I've not seen another, but then I haven't really been looking. It does seem to be rather slick. Kind of a curiosity for the Disston collector who's looking for something different.

And the last picture shows my Craftsman combination plane made by Sargent. This is in great condition. You can see that all of the blades are there, and most still have the factory grind on the bevels. This has seen very little use, and is complete, including instructions. A great way to get a complete combination plane for less.

That should at least give you an idea of what's for sale. The prices will be good. I'm motivated to sell.

If you're looking to get into hand tools, or to move more towards them, I've got a lot of great stuff to get you kitted out. If you already use them, there are still some great tools here I'm sure you could use.

The sale will be at 9:30 am Saturday, Nov. 7th. (no early sales).

I'm just south of Southpoint Mall in Durham, on Timber Wolf Dr.. Signs on the day of the sale will direct you off of Fayetteville or Massey Chapel Rd.

And remember, there will also be very nice women's clothing and costume jewelry there as well. My mom was a professional who owned her own business and traveled the world. She liked nice things. She had to go into memory care this summer and we're helping to dispose of some of her five walk-in closets of clothes and costume jewelry. And who know what else we may decide to put out?

Whatever it is, this will not be your typical garage sale stuff.

Oh, and I'm putting my whole scrap pile out for first-come-first-serve free wood. There's everything in there from SYP, to Cherry, a lot of maple, hard maple, some joinery examples, and who knows what else. All dry as a bone as all of my wood and tools have been kept in a climate controlled room in the house. (why there's so little rust on anything)

Attachments

• IMG_4029.jpg
    IMG_4029.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 329
  • IMG_4030.jpg
    IMG_4030.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 350
  • IMG_4031.jpg
    IMG_4031.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 331
  • IMG_4032.jpg
    IMG_4032.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 323

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
Oh, and if you want some boxwood blanks for making tools, these have been drying in my climate-controlled workshop for over 10 years.

Attachments

• 5E53065E-BA4A-4438-8027-8CBF1CF2E710.jpeg
    5E53065E-BA4A-4438-8027-8CBF1CF2E710.jpeg
    826.3 KB · Views: 193

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
Oh, did I mention a working, complete, Miller Falls drill press?

Attachments

• Miller Falls drill press.JPG
    Miller Falls drill press.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 191

Wannabe

New User
Vic
Price for the drafting compass and square. Do you have a beam compass? Products need to be shipped.

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
$5. Nice and tight on the handle and well balanced. I have two and only need one.

I've also got like four more boxes of tools not in these pictures including braces, drills, a breast drill, chisels, bits, etc... I have a lot of pricing to do tonight.

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
Price for the drafting compass and square. Do you have a beam compass? Products need to be shipped.

Which square? There are a couple on there. Sorry, I don't have a beam compass. Regardless of which square you meant, they are all inexpensive compared to anywhere else.

I'm trying really hard not to have to ship. (that's why my prices are so good, I could get more on eBay) Shipping is a real pain for me because I work all day and can't easily get to a post office. If there's stuff left over I may start selling some of it by mail. We'll see, but no promises.

Wannabe

New User
Vic
Which square? There are a couple on there. Sorry, I don't have a beam compass. Regardless of which square you meant, they are all inexpensive compared to anywhere else.

I'm trying really hard not to have to ship. (that's why my prices are so good, I could get more on eBay) Shipping is a real pain for me because I work all day and can't easily get to a post office. If there's stuff left over I may start selling some of it by mail. We'll see, but no promises.

Wannabe

New User
Vic
Thanks for the reply. Tools are beautiful and well kept. I live in Lexington and the drive would be excessive. Good luck on your sale and I'll keep looking. Thanks.

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
The sale will be from 9:30-3:00.
My house is on Timber Wolf Dr. in Durham. Get to the corner of Fayetteville Rd. and Caribou Crossing and signs will direct you in.

Can't wait to see y'all!

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
Had a busy morning! Thank you all who came. It was fun selling to people who will enjoy and use the tools.
We still have some more, so come on by. I’ll be here until 3:00.

Attachments

• 18510CDA-632B-4BDA-8363-E06F42A0DDEF.jpeg
    18510CDA-632B-4BDA-8363-E06F42A0DDEF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 172
  • AD769C8C-DA98-4F0C-9269-8745544DE475.jpeg
    AD769C8C-DA98-4F0C-9269-8745544DE475.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 149
  • CA57110F-6036-4AFB-89BD-D73F823D68D0.jpeg
    CA57110F-6036-4AFB-89BD-D73F823D68D0.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 158
  • 37BD70E0-D3C3-4F28-911C-9820055B7347.jpeg
    37BD70E0-D3C3-4F28-911C-9820055B7347.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 153

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
I still have some good deals. Since the weather is nice, I’ll do this for a few hours tomorrow morning from 9-11

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
I just wanted to thank everyone who came out to the sale this weekend. It was a great success. My workshop is less cluttered, some good tools went to good homes, and I was able to help out a couple of young woodworkers as well, always a plus.

What tickled me the most was my scrap pile. Those who were there may remember the boxes of wood scraps I had sitting at the end of the driveway, free for the taking. Some did pick up some nice pieces that were in there. The vast majority of it I put up by the curb. Yesterday a group of neighborhood kids around 10-12 years old swung by and asked if they could take what they wanted from it. I told them to take any or all of it. They took all of it. I've since heard that they're building a "fort" back in the woods. Didn't know kids still did that. At least all of my wood will go towards something beside a firepit.

Thanks again to y'all!
Andrew

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS