Block Plane Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
I am in the middle of making the bench plane I just bought from an antique mall functional. I paid all of $20 for it and have done a majority of the repairing just today. I have watched a fair share of plane repair/ refinish/ sharpening videos to get by with the work myself - at least I hope. Tell me what you think of my progress thus far and, I would like some opinions on whether I should recoat the top side of the base (it looks like black paint to me) and/or refinish the handles.

I re-uploaded my pictures. I think the picture issue may be due to uploading via my iPhone - the formatting specifically.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 285
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 226
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 225
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks like you are doing a great job.

A lot of folks just get the bottom and sides 'cleaned', sharpen the iron and put it back in use. Others, me included, like to go a little further than is necessary for function and do some additional work on 'fit and finish'.

Your plane looks to be in really good condition. If it was mine I would not re-coat the base, the jappaning on yours looks to be in great shape. Same with the knob and tote. I would just clean off any dirt and shmutz from the wood, apply a coat of paste wax and call it good. Sharpen the iron and test it out on some wood. Then you can see if any additional work is needed, fettling the cap iron or messing with the frog seat, etc. If it works as is, why mess with it?

Richo B

New User
Richo
I agree with MarkE. When I buy planes I mainly just make sure the mechanical parts work and the body is acceptable. Sharpen the blade and oil the other parts. I would only refinish the handles if they need it. Its really just a comfort thing at this point. You're the one using it. As I've said in other posts, I visit antique shops often and have seen a lot of woodworking tools out there. If the item is well priced, doesn't have that many problems that can't be corrected in the shop and it "sings" to me then I buy it. On the other hand if the blade is badly corroded and would need lots of time on the grinder then I pass onto something better. You found a great buy by the photo though I can't really tell what make it is.

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
You found a great buy by the photo though I can't really tell what make it is.

There were a few markings on it. And one of them was Sargent & Co. the other says something along the lines of "PAT FEB 03 91."

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 264

Richo B

New User
Richo
Its not a block plane that is for sure. Can't really tell what it is from the two photos I can see. Something between a jack and up. Not sure if its a Fore, Try or even a Jointer. Sargent & Co. is a name that is well known, which is better than one of my planes that is from a company that is not well known. I'm not a plane expert like Mike Davis. He is the king of the plane questions. I can only hope to one day grasp a third of the knowledge he contains.

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
Were there 3 other pictures in your post that I'm not getting (blue box question marks)? Yours doesn't look like a block plane and I don't know what your plane is but Mark and Richo must know.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/hand/block-plane-basics

My apologies for the photo issue. I have been using my phone to access the website, and I don't have the greatest service in Hirdle Mills. Uploading the pictures is more of a hassle than I would expect, for that reason.

And I now notice I said block plane, but I researched before posting and I know it's a bench plane. I don't know why I didn't have that corrected before my final post.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
MarkE is one of our vintage plane experts here so I would pay particular attention to his advice. He is one of our experts on this subject here.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
That looks like an old type 2 Sargent iron and frog....1902-1909. Can't really see the rest of the plane but if it's correct and in good shape it's going to make an excellent user. Nice score.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nowadays, when I acquire another plane I generally just sharpen it and use it. If I like it a lot I may clean it a little. Anything more seems to be a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS