Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
All glued up.
E8DE601C-4515-4371-B39D-643757CA5040.jpeg

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
I’ve heard these called blind mitered dovetails to distinguish them from full blind dovetails which look like a rabbet joint from the outside. Both were used before it became fashionable to leave dovetails exposed.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Bruce, you’re gonna make me blush. It is going to be a case for my hardware template. The interior components and then a lid.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I'm always intrigued by the purpose of hidden dovetail joints.

While I appreciate the craftsmanship, it sure does seem like a lot of extra work for what looks like a mundane miter joint.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member

While I appreciate the craftsmanship, it sure does seem like a lot of extra work for what looks like a mundane miter joint.
He gave an explanation in post #8

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had a little time today to work on the interior
64D9EC86-E54D-4A15-807E-21E1AC16BADB.jpeg

259CDF49-49D2-4369-8EE4-0AA8CB251555.jpeg

really straight grained pine likes to split so I had a couple pieces that needed some RX. It’s all good I can reinforce the pieces as needed

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interior in with the template in place.
7E681D1D-A971-4FBF-831A-E34D1065C237.jpeg

now to the lid! :cool:

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member

While I love exposed dovetails they have their place and I don't think this case is it . Miter joints are the weakest joints and need reinforcement,usually a hidden spline or exposed cross spline or"fake" dovetail. Since this piece is for himself no need to expose the skill for others to appreciate. Ol' Sasquatch can throw this case around without worrying that it will fall apart.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
And now we will irritate you more with the lid.
646F50B1-32E2-4B47-AA88-B3077D23A998.jpeg

64A9CE5C-05FB-4DA4-88BD-7BB9DDA695FA.jpeg

D0D3AF47-E73C-42E0-BFBE-7C74D03103AA.jpeg

EAE16978-7F1F-4A8A-A88E-7080BA590B64.jpeg

0BDE7FB8-27D8-4B97-9E90-FD722D93BAB0.jpeg

the joint will be a mitered bridle joint, or is it a blind mitered bridle joint, either way, you’ll only see the boring little miter. This is all I had time last evening to do. More to come, I know, y’all are happy for the warning:cool: later!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm enjoying the build description, details and pictures which doesn't irritate me at all.

What is a "cabinet template" set? What is it used for?

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is a hardware template. It’s use is for the positioning and drilling of holes for the knobs and or pulls on the doors and drawers of cabinetry. It also can be used for line boring shelf holes in cabinets or bookshelves. I used to make my own Templates but I found this product and haven't looked back.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
And now the joinery for the lid frame
FDD29A16-25E3-4D23-A60F-26C2DC084A9F.jpeg

7A03F2C6-6843-4549-B324-616C3BC433BF.jpeg

D829B580-52F1-4EE0-BE0A-12EAC52FFA2B.jpeg

it clamps up square and even so on to the panel! Later, someone mentioned getting a beer.

Last edited:

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Richard, when cutting the miters with the tenon, whats the trick in getting both sides even? I'm guessing first cuts diagonally cross-grain on the end but I'd be worried about tear out. Even with power tools and jigs I'd be worried about closing the gaps evenly on both sides. Your hand work is impressive.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
John, getting these even is accurate layout with a knife, and working to the knife line. I teach a version of this joint in the handsaw skills class. I like it because it’s strong and has a nice look. It also pushes me on the skill and the accuracy.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
The panel sets above the the frame. Study the other photos and you will see how it goes together.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS