Blanket chest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Just finished up a blanket chest for my wife. We got a new bedroom set earlier in the year and she wanted a medium sized chest to match the "beach style" since they didn't offer one. It's made with poplar, MDF and knotty pine for the slats with 4 coats of white lacquer and 3 coats of clear. This was major step for me because it's the first real project I've done since I had my table saw accident and had my thumb rebuilt. I've puttered around but this is a leap for me.

IMAG0241.jpg

View image in gallery

I thought I'd never really get back into it again but it felt real good to use all my tools again. Thanks for looking. Jim

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

That is really, really nice work there, Jim.

The finish work rocks! (You wouldn't want to see my last attempt at painting slats on a bifold door.:BangHead::BangHead:)

Bet that the LOYL will give you good marks for this outcome.

Glad that you are healing well and welcome back to the sawdust pile.

Wayne

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Nice chest Jim. You definitely nailed the beach style.

I know what you mean about getting back in the shop. I had a TS accident in '98 and it was six weeks before I was even allowed back in the shop by order of SWMBO. The first time I turned the TS on to cut a board was a little shaky, but it all came back quickly, and everything has been fine ever since. I'm just a little more careful now.

Bill

skeeter

New User
Charles
Nice job on the chest. Looks like you haven't lost your touch. About time you got some sawdust in that shop.

My first project after my accident, I started TS up, cut it off and walked away twice before I made myself actually use it.

Sorry I missed you at the Smith Creek Park dedication, I wanted to go over and say "hi" since it is in my back yard, but my sister-in-law had passed away the day before after a long fight with cancer.

Once again, really nice looking chest.

Charles

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Fine looking chest and masterful paint job. Glad you are back in the shop again. I need to figure out how to do louvers so I can build some shutters. Real wooden ones, not the plastic things.
Keep up the fine work. :thumbs_up

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Thanks for all your compliments.

Joe, Beach style refers to furniture with slats (like shutters), wainscot or beadboard with bright white, seafoam, powder blue and primary red as the colors incorporated in there design. It's fairly common in furniture stores on the coast.

Charles sorry for your loss; hope you like the new Smith Creek Park, I think it came together real nice. Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks nice, great first effort after the accident.

I have a question about slats in furniture.

Are they real slats with openings all the way to the interior? Do you worry about insects if they are?

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Mike the slats are built on MDF so it's solid and I lined the inside with a aromatic cedar closet lining kit from HD. Jim

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Very nice! I was always told that if the horse threw you off, get right back on. I found that quite a hard thing to do, but did it. Glad you're back in the sawdust pile!:icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS