Blame Fred P

Status
Not open for further replies.

botebum

New User
Doug
Hi all! I've lurked here for a while and finally decided to join when I saw Fred P's thread about the box he made for "the old bat". I knew then that this was the place for me. Some other forums seem to check their sense of humor at the door. Nice to find a place where people with similar interests can get together, share ideas, show off their accomplishments, steal ideas and goof off a bit.
The shop should be up and running in a couple months(closing on a house with a 400sq.ft. shop Jan. 15). Can't wait to start getting some of these ideas out of my head and onto the bench.

Doug

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Welcome aboard Doug. You will really like this site and all of it's fine members. Don't forget to set up a photo album as we all like to see pictures. :eusa_danc

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Welcome:lol: :eusa_clap Glad to have another member that appreciates the ability to laugh, especially at yourself! Drag up a chair, make some chips, get some Band-Aids, and join the rest of us! My family used to go to Holden Beach when I was a kid, in the 60's and 70's. Don't think I've been back but once since mid-70's, around 1989 IIRC, and even then MUCH had changed. How long you lived there? Is there still just the one drawbridge for island access?

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Welcome Doug. Glad you decide to come out of the closet....er...shop.:lol: Your right this is the site to visit. All good people with plenty of talent that are willing to share ideas and help.

botebum

New User
Doug
I moved to this area from the Albany, NY area in 1999. I've been in this house for three years. The current bridge to the island(concrete, modern, very high) has been here longer than me. The drawbridge must have gone the way of all things. I actually live about a mile inland, not on the island itself. The area has changed considerably since '99. If you were to visit for the first time since '89 you'd probably think you were misreading your map. Back in '71 to '73 my family rented a house on Sunset Beach for a week each summer. I was just a youngster then but I did notice the drastic changes that had taken place in 30 years. Oddly, I did some remodel work on a beach house on Sunset a couple years ago. After taking a look at the owner's guest log, it turns out that it was the same house my family had rented so long ago. Too freaky!
January 15th we'll be closing on a house in Ash(about 20 miles inland). The house is small(600sq.ft.) with a 400sq.ft. shop out back:eusa_danc . The property is 2 acres so there's plenty of room to expand both house and shop. You'll find that this new home is one of my favorite subjects:roll: . To be honest- the house is my wife's(Tonya)favorite subjects, I'm all about the shop:-D

Doug

MikeF

New User
Mike
Welcome to the site Doug. We get down to Holden Beach quite a bit. My In-Laws live over at Lockwood Folly in "Supply, NC". They tried to say their address was Holden Beach for a while, until the post office refused to deliver mail unless they used Supply for their return address. :lol:

Look forward to seeing pics of your projects.

botebum

New User
Doug
Nobody knows where "Supply,NC" is except the Post Office and nobody really cares what they think about it anyway. I could say that you busted me, and, yes, I live in Supply, but nope, I'm sticken' to my guns, I live in Holden Beach. Would Tonya be my wife now if I told her then that I lived in Supply? No, I don't think so. If the word 'beach is in there, ya got a bit o' class. Think anybody'll notice if I tell them that the new house is at Ash Beach?:roll:

Doug

cskipper

Cathy
:rotflm: One of the areas around here is Sandy Mush - and we live in the west end of the state! But then again the area I live in was Frog Level. Welcome to the site. Looking forward to your input and I love your signature line.

M

McRabbet

Doug,

Welcome to the site -- looks like you're heading to a nice place to set up your shop and even with have a house as an annex for the LOYL and those beauties we see in your arms! I've been to your area several times (usually to bang the little white ball around) and like that area of the coast. But when we retired 3 years ago in the Raleigh-Durham area, we moved west to the cool climate of the NC mountains and a nice home in a nice community. Be sure to take advantage of all of our site resources -- we have two libraries with lots of good downloads and links to other sites, plus our photo galleries can be an inspiration source for new projects. Be sure to document your new shop and projects with pictures and start a gallery (read the FAQ's on Photos), because around here, "no pics, it didn't happen!".

Happy to have you with us!

Rob

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
dont blame me! it aint my faulf. no no no uhuh not mine!:lol: welcome aboard.

fred p

ps... i know where supply is. yup thats me! uh huh.

dozer

Mike
Welcome to the site you will really enjoy it here. I always blame Fred it's almost always his fault :rolf:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey if FredP is involved it can't be too bad...or can it... :icon_scra :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the site, I'm glad you joined despite who your references are. Jump in and have fun, this is a great place to burn some time :-D

Dave:)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site you will really enjoy it here. I always blame Fred it's almost always his fault :rolf:

watchit there big boy
1 i know where you live!:-D got the new toy all cleaned up today.;-) ;-) ;-) man what a monster! see ya tomorrow.

fred p

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Doug!
Thanks Fred, referrals count as two posts :lol:

Definitely looking forward to progress on house and shop. 400 sq ft will give you room to make a nice size boat ;-) Got any pics of boats you've made???

Roger

botebum

New User
Doug
No pics of boats I've built for myself but here's a couple I helped build for others-
Imagine- a 78'loa two masted schooner, based in Annapolis,Md
imagine-small.jpg

Friendship- 105'lod three masted square rigger replica of an 1800's East India Trader for the NPS Maritime Historical Site at Salem, Ma
thumb_frshpsmall3_1104877546.jpg

Doug

J

jeff...

Welcome, you'll be making sawdust in no time flat (no phun intended). NCWoodworker is full of great folks, it's a great place to hang out have a little fun :drunken_s. Have a Merry Christmas

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard. If those are your two kids, I will enjoy hearing how you acquire shop time. Mine are similar in age and getting to the shop is sometimes a wee bit difficult. They are worth it, but they eat your time.

botebum

New User
Doug
They're still boats, big boats, but boats nonetheless. I worked for Scarano Boatbuilding in Albany, NY for a couple years and had the opportunity to help build these two. I did wooden boat repair on the side as well. Once in the new shop I plan on building a few smaller boats for myself and family(I owe my brother one). First on the agenda is going to have to shorten the list of projects SWMBO has been compiling for the new house. I neglected to mention that the new house is 70 years old and in need of some attention.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS