Blacksmith tools and general info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Hello everyone,
I have been woodworking for a little while now and have always had an itch to try some forging, specifically bladesmithing (although I would guess I'd need to start with some basic forging processes before moving on to knife making?). I want to see if anyone on here has a forge and would be willing to allow me into their shop to learn some basics. I live in Roxboro (north of Durham). Thanks!
Sam

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It is a long way to go and costs close to $1000 when you add in travel, meals, and board.
But the best place to spend a week learning blacksmithing is the John C. Campbell Folk School.

My daughter has taken two short courses there and made some nice hardware. Hinges, hooks, bottle opener, Animal head figures. I think you can select the course and instructor that will point you in the direction you want to go.

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
John Wilson, Shaker box maker, teacher, and plane maker wrote a book about making planes in which he tells how to shape plane blades (knife blades) using 2 tin cans, MAPP gas, a ball peen hammer, piece of heavy steel, grinders (Dremel) and other things most men have access to. I think the title is "How to Make a Plane". Good Luck! This might get you started until you can go to Campbell or other teacher.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I suggest that you contact Peter Ross. He lives in Silk Hope NC...

Interesting, I had no idea he was in central NC. Ross was the blacksmith at Colonial Williamsburg 1979 to 2004, where he met Roy Underhill (there beginning 1979).

He was a bit of a hero when I was blacksmithing in Old Salem in the 1980's.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Thank you Steve for the info. I have emailed Peter and he has agreed to show me his shop and teach some basics of forging. Looking forward to this!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's a great opportunity to get you started. I'm curious why you want to do blacksmithing and what kinds of projects do you have in mind and why?

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
That's a great opportunity to get you started. I'm curious why you want to do blacksmithing and what kinds of projects do you have in mind and why?
Jeff,
I've had an interest in learning how to forge knives for as long as I can remember just never thought about how it was done. Also, watching those old Chinese martial arts movies where the blacksmith forges out a sword was really cool. Recently I guess you could say the TV show Forged in Fire got me thinking I could learn that. Not going to give up woodworking, I can actually merge the two in some projects that could be neat. I already weld a little with my Lincoln mig. Just need an anvil, fire and hammer now. Lol

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I was in shop class in Flint,MI and they had a forge. I fell in love. Some of the guys played with the metal lathe. They were making aluminum screw driver handles. I was making the blades. This was in the 50's and I was new to coal fired furnaces. SO! I've got coal, I've got fire, I've got a floor fan what the heck I've got a forge. My dad was working 2nd shift. He came home and was down stairs in a flash. I show him what I was up-to, and he took me out side. Sparks were coming out the chimney about 20 feet high. We went back down stairs were he told me: 1 - it was a great idea & 2 - don't do it again I could burn the house down. I've wanted to get back to the forge ever since.

My best advise is to start out slow. A few years ago I ran into a woodworker in Maggie Valley who took the week long course at the Campbell school. He said his arms & shoulder hurt for a week after he finished the course.

Pop
:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors