Black Palm tricks anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Ok all you turning experts..I'm trying to turn some black palm pens but having problems with splintering, chunks flying, and in one case the entire blank popping off the tube:slap:. I got the other half of the pen somewhat done:new_shock but it has divots or little holes on the surface.

Anyone turn black palm successfully and if so, how did you do it?:dontknow:

Thanks for your help,

woodArtz

New User
Bob
CA glue and lots of it... :lol:. First, I make sure that I have a bunch of CA on the tube before I insert it in the blank. Before milling the blanks, I coat the blanks really good with thin CA. After I mill the blanks, I coat the ends with more CA. Then, with very sharp tools, I turn a little, add a little more CA, turn a little more, add a little more CA... you get the picture. I have had 100% completion rate using this method, your mileage may vary :icon_bigg.

Good luck.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Black Palm is one of the more difficult woods to turn. It's not really a wood but a grass that is composed of long tubes instead of individual cells. I have never turned it because IMO it isn't worth the trouble. It looks OK , but not spectacular. If I wanted frustration with adequet pay-off I would try Snakewood 8-O
CA is your friend, use it often, and then throw a little more on it, in between. Sharp tools and a light touch will help also.
Good luck, and show us what you turn out :icon_thum:icon_thum

Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Thanks George, I think my tools are sharp enough, maybe I was going too fast...didn't seem like it at the time though.

Bob,
When you put the coats of CA on do you let it cure/harden before any turning:5duh:? Seems like that would take a lot longer. Do you use something to speed the drying?
Thanks for your help,

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I usually wait it out for ten minutes, since I alternate between two lathes ;-). You can fire some accelerator at it, but wait 'til it soaks in good. Also, be careful around the edges. Nothing will make you cuss like a hammered finger or a stuck bushing :slap:.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I have turned red blank diagonal cut and almost got a segmented spiral red and blank palm turned once.
Knowing what I have learned about drilling and turning intricate glue ups this is how I would approach it now.
Before drilling seal the end I am going to drill from with CA.
Drill a "blind" hole and drizzle thin CA in it cover with a piece of clear packing tape and revolve it spreading the CA.
Drill the second half and using the CA left from the first blank pour it into the second blank.
Use the excess on a glue up if you have one.
After hitting the hole with accelerant I would ream it out by hand with the same drill bit I originally used
I have long been a user of CA exclusively for gluing tubes in blanks but have started using a pricy poly glue I get a Lowes called PL Turbo.
It is quick setting and I can mill and turn in less than a half hour.
I would ease the corners on my table saw using a jig and use CA while turning.
I have never been issued a license to operate a gouge so I would use my skew stopping often to harden the blank with CA and while the CA is setting give my skew a few swipes on the diamond stone.
I would also stick my tongue out the right side of my mouth and squint a lot.Prayers would be helpful also.
Here's the one that beat me
trivia_005.jpg

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Thanks for the tips, Eagle:icon_thum. You Da man!

DaveO, I didn't know palm was a grass:slap:. I always learn something from your posts. Is there anything you don't know about wood/plants:dontknow:?

Bob, I know what I mean when I say "hammered finger" (involves a hammer:roll:), but what do you mean when you say "hammered finger"? Inquiring mind wants to know:whatchuta...

Maybe I better stay with the "easy" stuff, huh?

Thanks,

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DaveO, I didn't know palm was a grass:slap:. I always learn something from your posts. Is there anything you don't know about wood/plants:dontknow:?

Yea, how to make them live without water...if I can figure that out I will save my career :5eek:

Dave:)

jimwill48

James
Prayer - sharp tools, lots of CA, buy several blanks and no SlimLines and then more Prayer...Use a large kit of some kind, so it doesn't have to be turned to thin... Black Straw..uh..I mean Black Palm is a pain but sure does look good if it survives...:gar-La;

James

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Prayer - sharp tools, lots of CA, buy several blanks and no SlimLines and then more Prayer...Use a large kit of some kind, so it doesn't have to be turned to thin... Black Straw..uh..I mean Black Palm is a pain but sure does look good if it survives...:gar-La;

James

Actually you need to be very careful saying that.
The larger pen styles have thinner wall to keep the weight down.
The baron has the most amount of meat for a pen of its' size.
The cigar is very closest to a Baron .
I use inexpensive cigars to test a design before I attempt to put it in a better type of kit.
You can always make a modified slimline, just get rid of the CB and be careful at the ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS