Biscuit Joiner Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
I am getting into making clocks with an octagonal face frame and it occurs to me that a biscuit joiner might be the way to go for the frame. I know absolutely nothing about biscuit joiners and am trying to learn. Anyone care to share their experience/opinion? Thanks.

Stan Messick

scott hamm

New User
scott
i have a freud and am a newbie with one as well.
i really do like mine and it works well.
you just have to make sure the faces are all the same way so the joint will line up.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Stan, they must be close to idiot proof. I have a Porter Cable and find it easy to use and the joints are strong, especially great for MDF and plywood. For the octagonal face you may need to make a jig to hold the pieces securely.

HTH,
Roger

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have two, a DeWalt and a Sears (also made by DeWalt) Both serve my needs well. The secret to making octigon frames is to make two halves, then using table saw jig, straighten edges to be glued together.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Stan, You didn't mention how wide the members of the octagon are. If they are not wider than the smallest biscuit, you may have a problem. Rather than go out to the shop and measure them, I found this: http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/2007-06-01/Woodworking-Basics.aspx

About 1/3 down the page, find: "Biscuits come in three standard sizes: #0 are five-eighth inch by 1¾ inch; #10 are three-quarter inch by 2⅛ inch; and #20 are 1 inch by 2⅜ inch."

The larger measurement is the length of the biscuit. Also note that some plate joiners will cut for a smaller biscuit.

Another option might be a spline.

Roy

sapwood

New User
Roger
The Porter Cable comes with two blades. The smaller blade is for #FF biscuits that can be used on frames as narrow as 1 1/2". That said, I agree with Roy that splines would be a lot cheaper, probably stronger, and add interest to the frames.

Roger

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
Young Man,

Talk to me about splines, how you set up for cuts, what you use, how you get the join level, and whatever I'm too dumb to think to ask.

Stan Messick

sapwood

New User
Roger
Young Man . . . haha :lol:
Stan, I'm not the expert you need but I will pass along some info until more informed members respond. Splines can be made in a number of ways, but usually they are done on a tablesaw or router table utilizing a jig. As always, the jigs can be simple and specific or complex and versatile. Go to the Photo Gallery and enter "spline" in the search field to check out examples. Essentially, you make a sled with a support that matches the angle of the mitre. Set the depth of cut for slot (width is determined by router bit or blade kerf). Cut splines to width, glue up, and trim excess. The spline joint can go through the face of both edges of board or you can glue up frame and place it in jig . . . cutting through the mitre of two sides in a pass. Many of the boxes posted in the photo gallery employ the latter style to add contrast and reinforce the joint.

HTH,
Roger (61 and aging fast :-D)

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
Roger, Roy,

Thanks for your input. Gives me a good deal to think about and do more research on.

Stan Messick

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Stan,

For any shape where alignment in 2 or more dimensions is critical such as an octagonal shape, I would go for a a Duo Doweler (Mafell makes them, or Hoffman sells them, too) or -if money is no object- a Festo . I don't particular care for biscuits. Biscuits do not make a strong conection and they do allow for side to side movement. A hand held doweler (i.e a duo doweler) makes a stronger connection and a rigid connection.
I do have a biscuit jointer ( Lamello and Elu), but I much prefer the doweler and if I can swing it , I'll get the Festo on of those days.

my $0.02

Bernhard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS