Bird feeder design needed

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
The man who signs my paycheck needs a new bird feeder - could I say no?
Now I need a design
Here is what I am replacing ... does not need to be the same
Resized_20200421_185339.jpg

Resized_20200421_185339.jpg

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Number 1 question is always, does it need to be squirrel proof?

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
Number 1 question is always, does it need to be squirrel proof?
FWIW, I have never found any of the designs that claimed to be squirrel proof to actually be squirrel proof. Eventually they figure something out. At least when it comes to the feeder itself. My favorite solution was the one that jumped up and down and shook the hanging feeder until a lot of seed was on the ground, then jumped down, and repeated as necessary.

I have had decent luck with using a good baffle on a pole metal maintaining all the right distances, but that really isn't the feeder itself. Without the baffle they managed to climb a surprising variety of diameters of metal and pvc poles even when greased. I figure I have them pretty much beat with the baffles and have not had any real problem for years, but even now my game camera that I keep pointed at the feeders caught one picture of a squirrel on top of one of my feeders a few months ago. It was only one picture and I have no idea how he got there. Once in a while a raccoon or a possum gets past one of the baffles, but not very often.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Around here bird feeders attract Black Bears so we stick with humming bird and thistle feeders. Although I've seen a picture of a bear at a humming bird feeder once.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I've always really liked the one with the copper roofs, they appear very fancy

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Pete, you want a really squirrel proof feeder. Check out the Yankee Flipper. It works and it's fun to watch the little buggers take to the air. They get to fly. Not very long, but fly they do.

Pop

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Why not copy the existing feeder, or is that too easy?
Seems he has grown tried of that design, so something different. He said keep it simple but than said he likes curved flowing roof lines, just not copper - go figure

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Here is a bird house I made. If you extend the floor to make a tray/perch, hinge the top, and replace the front with stainless hardware cloth it may work.

1D7E6728-B764-401E-9AB4-296A2A4B5FF3.jpeg

F14819FF-C909-4278-AB70-ED755FB03FF3.jpeg

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
If you really want over the top cool check these out.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Maybe your employer should be giving you a drawing or a picture of what he envisions for the new bird feeder and the roof lines. It's a poorly defined request on his part even if it was a commissioned bird house.

He said keep it simple but than said he likes curved flowing roof lines, just not copper - go figure

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe your employer should be giving you a drawing or a picture of what he envisions for the new bird feeder and the roof lines. It's a poorly defined request on his part even if it was a commissioned bird house.
Would be nice but that will never happen. I have to read his mind...been doing it for twenty years. Whatever I build he will say he likes it, if it is still on the pole a year from now he did like it or it could be gone in a month and nothing more will be said. Always interesting

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS