Big Sign for work

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlrion

New User
Dan
My boss told me that I can have a day off if I can make a gigantic sign for our workcenter.

The sign will have to say "CANN DOCK" it needs to be about 6 feet long.

I was thinking about using MDF to route the letters, and then painting everything black with white border and white letters.

But I have only made a few signs before, anybody have any better ideas?

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
If the sign was inside, MDF might work if you provided a frame with some supports in-between and then screwed the MDF to the frame. I wouldn't use it for an outdoor sign, though. And outdoor paint will need to be re-painted as it weathers or the sign will start to look real bad. You could create a panel out of cypress or cedar and then either route the letters into the sign (and then paint the letters or even fill them with colored epoxy) or have vinyl letters made, stick them to the panel, and then find someone with a sand blaster and blast away the background. When you peel off the vinyl you will have raised letters. I saw this in a woodworking magazine several years ago. Maybe someone else here will have actually tried it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have used vinyl shelving paper to hand cut letters and sandblast glass and wood. As long as your blaster is not too aggressive it works fine.

Automotive acrylic paint holds up a long time outside. Get the hot weather reducer and you can brush it on.

I'm not a fan of MDF, but I try not to let my bias interfere with someone else's experience. If you have used it outside and it works for you stick with it. Personally I can't stand the stuff. A product I used to use a lot was called soffit board. Don't know if it is still available.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
How about using some of the PVC board materials that are available now or piece up something using the plastic deck materials that are already colored?

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Look for a ply product called "MDO. Medium density overlay. MDO is used now for billboards and other signs that are going to see constant weather. Might have to order it.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Could you just make the sign board out of MDO with a good paint job and maybe add some edge trim? Then take it to a sign shop to have vinyl lettering made for it. The project would be fast, easy, and very professional looking this way. Single color lettering is quite reasonably priced, very professional looking, and they will even put it on for you.

Charley

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I like Extira for exterior signs. It looks and mills like MDF but uses phenolic resin as a binder. It paints great and letters route crisply.
I paint the background, cover the area that will have the letters routed with clear shelf paper from Walmart, then rout.
Then check the edges of the letters and press the shelf paper down if it came up a bit. Then paint the letters.
After dry, remove the paper.

painted.jpg

dlrion

New User
Dan
This is an interior sign that will always be in a heated hangar where aircraft are kept, so I think MDF and regular paint should do it...

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Dan, Call Builders Discount Center (down on the 70 West highway just after you go under I 795). I got some 3/4 MDO from them a while back for $12 sheet. That's what I made my shop cabinets from. They don't have it all the time, but get shipments in occasionally.

Go

PS Give me a call if they have it on hand. I want a couple sheets for myself, so would be glad to pick it up for you and deliver a sheet.

dlrion

New User
Dan
Gofor - No MDO - they have MDF for $27.95 a sheet.... I guess that is what I will have to make due.

Ken - The closest Extira dealer are AL, CT, and NY - I am guessing that you mail order this stuff! LOL

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Gofor - No MDO - they have MDF for $27.95 a sheet.... I guess that is what I will have to make due.

Ken - The closest Extira dealer are AL, CT, and NY - I am guessing that you mail order this stuff! LOL
Check dealers and distributors, there are some in Raleigh and Charlotte, I think.

dlrion

New User
Dan
I have the day off with the promise that this project will be completed tomorrow!

I just went ahead and got MDF. I don't think there will be any problems with it, it is in a heated hangar, and won't be in the weather.

I have a question though, I have been considering how I am going to put this up...

The hangar is two or three stories high, and there is a second floor that is above our offices. I think everybody wants it to hang from two points from a chain. My question is do you think MDF will be strong enough to screw in two eye bolts and suspend a six foot by 15 inches by 3/4 sign - it's pretty heavy - ???

Alternatively I could mount it to some metal support brackets, this would probably be more sturdy, but they are 4 inch angle iron, I would need some reinforcement for that I believe....

any ideas??

Dan

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Dan: Screw a couple of flat 3/4" ply strips vertically to the back where the chain will attach.

Chain holds up the ply. Ply holds up the MDF. Use several screws in the ply to MDF

Go.

PS: Seal the MDf on all sides and edges with whatever coating you have on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS