Best Way to Cut 4x4 Barn Timbers into 3" Pieces??

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpone

New User
Harpone
Last year I volunteered to supply a charity (one of my sons works for it) in Winston-Salem with the bases for 25 awards given out annually. The bases are approximately 3.5"x3.5"x3". I traded a farmers market vendor some hardwood Christmas ornaments I made on my scrollsaw for 4 pieces of old oak dunnage. I planed the dunnage and got a friendly finish carpenter working at a neighborhood house to cut (no charge) 30 blocks. He wasn't quite as friendly when he finished: his miter saw overheated and the slicing probably dulled his blade. He politely told me not to ask him to do anymore cutting.

This year my son came up with some old 4x4 barn timber for me to finish. I can probably cut the bases on my Dewalt contractors saw using the two cut method but I am guessing I will have a lot of sanding to even out the cuts. I have access to a cheap 10"Ryobi miter saw but question whether that would work any better than the contractors saw. My research came up with the info that a 12" miter saw will cut a 4x4. That isn't a tool I really need. I did check Craig's list and found 12" Dewalt used miter saws for $100 and $150.

I welcome all suggestions and advice.

Last edited:

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Re: Cheapest Way to Slice 4x4 Barn Timbers""??

Bandsaw. Doesn't have to be big and expensive for that size and quantity. You could find a used one on Cragislist. Or find another neighbor with one. There might be an NCC member close to you who will volunteer.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill

Let's start with what you actually have on hand (tool wise) and go from there.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User

attachment.php

Attachments

• nku5qk3.jpg
    nku5qk3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 199

harpone

New User
Harpone

I have a 10" Rikon bandsaw.........didn't think about trying it but will give it a try. Where it is located in a snug ​workshop will require some relocation.
Bandsaw. Doesn't have to be big and expensive for that size and quantity. You could find a used one on Cragislist. Or find another neighbor with one. There might be an NCC member close to you who will volunteer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS