Best Sprayer to Paint Metal Equipment - Oil Base Paint??`

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Last year I bought a Graco TrueCoat Pro II airless sprayer to pre-paint molding, doors, etc. for a major home remodel. Had I known then what I know now I probably would have bought a HVLP sprayer - a Fuji 2203G Semi-Pro 2 would have only cost an additional $50.00. The Graco is great for large areas, but has too much over spray for molding and other small items.

I had also planned to use it to paint farm equipment with oil base enamel and industrial paints. The problem is over spray and clean up. A HVLP sprayer would help with the over spray; would it be easier to clean up? Can a HVLP be used to shoot oil base enamels and industrial paints?

Thanks for any advice!

-Barry

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Barry,
I have both types of equipment. I agree the airless is a bit much for trimwork, but when used proeperly, it will work (Im not saying youre not, but it does take practice). personally I think the HVLP is much easier to clean since you done have to clean out the hose. I have used my Fuji to spray oils and it works great and cleanup isnt bad either.. about 10 minutes is all. Nearly any topcoat available can be sprayed with HVLP nowadays too. Hope this helps!

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Barry,
I have both types of equipment. I agree the airless is a bit much for trimwork, but when used proeperly, it will work (Im not saying youre not, but it does take practice). personally I think the HVLP is much easier to clean since you done have to clean out the hose. I have used my Fuji to spray oils and it works great and cleanup isnt bad either.. about 10 minutes is all. Nearly any topcoat available can be sprayed with HVLP nowadays too. Hope this helps!

Chris,

As you know, the airless does not require any thinning of the paint. Do HVLPs require paint thinning? You are correct, the airless required a little practice . . . but after priming and painting what seemed like a zillion board feet of molding and 1 x 6 tongue and groove boards for the ceilings I became fairly accomplished. :D Thanks!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Chris,

As you know, the airless does not require any thinning of the paint. Do HVLPs require paint thinning? You are correct, the airless required a little practice . . . but after priming and painting what seemed like a zillion board feet of molding and 1 x 6 tongue and groove boards for the ceilings I became fairly accomplished. :D Thanks!

It depends on the paint , whether it needs thinning or not. The thing I hated about my airless sprayer was it took a quart of paint just to fill the hose!. Not too handy for "small" jobs. Its also very easy to get runs with the airless too, nearly impossible it seems with HVLP.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
HVLP can be used to spray oil based finishes. I use the $9.99 (purple) gun from HF to spray stair rails with Rustoleum. I do have to thin it, using acetone, as per man. instructions. I've used them to spray one of my pig cookers, but it doesn't do a very wide pattern. My Apollo gun does better, but I don't want to get oil based into it, as I spray water based poly with it. Be sure and see if hardener is available for for your oil base product. Tractor Supply carries it for the implement paint they sell.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
It depends on the paint , whether it needs thinning or not. The thing I hated about my airless sprayer was it took a quart of paint just to fill the hose!. Not too handy for "small" jobs. Its also very easy to get runs with the airless too, nearly impossible it seems with HVLP.

The airless sprayer I have is a handheld and therefore doesn't have a hose. It does however take a lot of water to clean it, I wouldn't want to use that much mineral spirits to clean oil paint. I tried painting doors and other pieces with them leaning against a wall and soon learned I had fewer runs with the items on the horizontal.

HVLP can be used to spray oil based finishes. I use the $9.99 (purple) gun from HF to spray stair rails with Rustoleum. I do have to thin it, using acetone, as per man. instructions. I've used them to spray one of my pig cookers, but it doesn't do a very wide pattern. My Apollo gun does better, but I don't want to get oil based into it, as I spray water based poly with it. Be sure and see if hardener is available for for your oil base product. Tractor Supply carries it for the implement paint they sell.

I was not familiar with the $9.99 (now $15.99) HVLP spray gun until you mentioned it. I watched six videos on YouTube last night and found that it has quite a following and is highly regarded by the budget conscious. I can see that it would work very well to spray implement paint and the videos show it to be relatively easy to clean, much easier than my airless Graco. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
$15.99 less 20% ($5.20) brings it down into the ten buck range. It's hard for me to justify cleaning one, when time and solvent are considered, but being my "tight" self - I do. They sell two model, one of which includes tools for taking gun apart.

Chemeleon

Administrator
Matt
If you get the extended protection plan on those HF sprayers (about $6 I think last time I bought a couple) I was told I could swap it out 3 times for any reason, even if its not working because I didn't bother to clean it out after spraying epoxy primer. So that works out to $16 for 4 uses - at four bucks a pop I'd rather not deal with having to clean the sprayer. Heck flushing enough solvent through to get it clean may cost nearly that much.

BWSmith

New User
BW
Just an observation here......take it for what you paid for it?

Folks are too concerned with what a gun costs(HF,POS vs,say an Iwata or Sata)and completely ignore the issue of airflow/safety.Call me stupid but,transfer rates vs health risks not only go,hand in hand but,sort of define who you are WRT,spraying in general?

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Just an observation here......take it for what you paid for it?

Folks are too concerned with what a gun costs(HF,POS vs,say an Iwata or Sata)and completely ignore the issue of airflow/safety.Call me stupid but,transfer rates vs health risks not only go,hand in hand but,sort of define who you are WRT,spraying in general?

BW, You have posed an interesting question. Having not used a HVLP spray gun, I am not familiar with the issues you mentioned in your post relating to safety, airflow and transfer rates. Can you elaborate? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS