Best source in the RDU area for sheet metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I need to buy some sheet metal (either 18 or 20 guage galvanized steel) to fabricate the discharge chute for the dust collector. My shear is good for 52", so I'd like to find some 48" wide flat sheet (or narrower). This is the same material that commercial HVAC metal ducts are fabricated from.

Does anybody have any knowledge about suppliers?

Thx.

Scott

DaveD

New User
Dave
Check with Dillon Supply. They should have it in 4x8 or 5x10 sheets. Their prices aren't the greatest but they do have 'steel'. They are right off Poole road and 440.

Or maybe a place like Apex Steel (never dealt with them though). Another place might be a HVAC sheet metal shop

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Dave said it: DIllon Supply. I buy all steel from Dillon. There are not cheap, but at least they do have most common stuff in stock.

Bernhard

jhreed

New User
james
I agree with Dillon. There is also Chatham Steel in Durham. Steel is all they sell and are usually a little cheaper than Dillon
James

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Scott, I buy my sheet metal from N B Handy. They are in an industrial park, just beyond Wurth (aka Raleigh Hardwoods.) I used to buy 26 ga from them for my cyclones. I don't know if they carry heavier stock.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I bought sheet metal for my dust collector cyclone at Alan Kelly near Tryon Rd. and South Saunders/Wilmington. They can even laser cut them for you if you provide CAD files. Extremely reasonable price ($25) if I remember correctly.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
My thanks to everybody for the feedback. I'll run shake the trees and see what falls loose!

Scott

DaveD

New User
Dave
I was very disappointed with JD Recyclers the 1st time I went there. The selection just isn't there. They have lots of 'scrap' but specifics are hard to come by. For all practical purposes you can say they have no sheet metal. Yeah, a few high dollar stainless steel sheets and maybe some misc pieces of 'plate'.

If you are a metal worker and want some steel bar to chuck in your lathe to make something then, yeah, go look there. Want that odd piece of angle iron or some bigger 'chunks' then again, they might have it. Last time I went it was $.50/pound for buying steel and $1.50/pound if you needed aluminum.

They do have some new angle iron and steel tubing in 20' lengths hidden away in a container that goes for a better price than Dillon though. You have to specifically ask for something though and expect to buy at least 10' of it. Surprisingly they had 2x2, 1/4" wall tube that I wanted.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
David, thanks for the insight. I have frequented scrap yards before, with the same results as you have. Sometimes they are a "gold mine", but usually the gold is something that you're not looking for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS