Best Plunge Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought I'd take advantage of some of the sales, and a xmas gift certificate, to get a new plunge router. I have a Milwaukee 5625 in my router table, so I'm wondering if I should get another 3+ hp plunge router, or if a 2+ hp router will work just as well. Recommendations for manufacturers? Everyone seems to make them.

Thanks,
Rich

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I'm hardly an expert since I only have nine routers. But of the bunch, I like the DW625. The bad part is, it has no dust collection! None! Nada! Zilch!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a ~20 y/o Ryobi 3hp in my table and a DW621 for larger handheld jobs. Since I got a Bosch Colt I haven't taken the DW621 out of its case. That little dude is a great tool!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
In the 2½ HP range I think that the DW625 is about the smoothest of them all. Often you can find it in a combo kit with the plunge and fixed bases, and that really increases the versatility of it.
Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
In the 2½ HP range I think that the DW625 is about the smoothest of them all. Often you can find it in a combo kit with the plunge and fixed bases, and that really increases the versatility of it.
I think you're talking about the DW618. I have that kit, with three bases (fixed, plunge, D-handle). It's a terrific set, and probably one of the best combo kits available. But, if you want a plunge router only, and don't care about a fixed base, the DW621 (or it's bigger brother DW625) is superb. I don't have one, but Wayne (Canuck) let me use it when I visited his shop. The plunge base on the DW618 kit is good, but not as good as the DW621. Not enough O's in smooooth....

For hand held routing, 2 1/4hp is probably enough. It depends on what you do with it of course. I saw Doug Robinson route out a bowl at a Klingspor demonstration, and for that you need all the power you can get.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I'm no where as knowledgeable as Joe Scharle (I only have 7 routers), but I do like the DW625 as well. It is a big beast. I agree with Joe on the down side as well, no dust collection.

Having interchanageable bases is definitely a plus though. I especially like a D handle router and eventually, will get another ;-)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think you're talking about the DW618. I have that kit, with three bases (fixed, plunge, D-handle). It's a terrific set, and probably one of the best combo kits available.

Bas you're correct as usual. I can't keep up with the numbers.

JohnW

New User
John
Rich,
It depends on what you are using the plunge feature for. Most of my plunging is done for inlay work, so finesse is more important than power. It's real important for the router to feel comfortable in your hands and you can easily reach the plunge lever and on/off switch easily. The size of your hands will determine which router "feels" best. I either use a DW618 or Bosch Colt when inlaying. The DW618 is a mid sized unit and the Colt is small. I give both high marks. I've used P/C's, and other bosch units and thought they were well made, but did not fit my hands as well.

I also think most factory routers are greatly improved with an aftermarket see-thru base.

Mrfixit71

Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rich,
It depends on what you are using the plunge feature for. Most of my plunging is done for inlay work, so finesse is more important than power. It's real important for the router to feel comfortable in your hands and you can easily reach the plunge lever and on/off switch easily. The size of your hands will determine which router "feels" best. I either use a DW618 or Bosch Colt when inlaying. The DW618 is a mid sized unit and the Colt is small. I give both high marks. I've used P/C's, and other bosch units and thought they were well made, but did not fit my hands as well.

I also think most factory routers are greatly improved with an aftermarket see-thru base.

John,

Good point. Now that most of the visitors that were here for Xmas are gone, I'll go out and get a feel for some of the recommended routers.

Rich

jsjordan

New User
Joel Jordan
I'd suggest giving the Triton routers a hard look before making a purchase decision. I have both the 2 1/4 and 3 1/4 models and have been very pleased with them both. :eusa_clap

The 2 1/4 kit includes a through-table winder handle which works great for adjusted the bit height in a router table. :icon_thum Just be sure to remove the plunge spring first or you'll have a tough time raising the bit! :BangHead:

I've contacted Triton and they will be adding this winder mechanism to the 3 1/4 model in '09. For the price and features, these have been a real winner for me. :icon_cheers

Mrfixit71

Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've noticed the Triton's on sale, but I've never seen them mentioned - pro or con, on any of the threads. I haven't heard anything about them. I'll take a look at them.

Rich

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I like my PC690 series plunge bases but I have not used the Bosch which gets very high marks in most reviews or the DeWalt (which typically gets lower marks). Most reviews I have seen indicate that it's hard to go wrong with mid sized routers. Key features are both a 1/4 and 1/2 inch chuck (not an adapter) and IMHO, 2 wrenches for bit changes. The PC 690 series is pretty old, their newer models are the PC890 series. It's useful to hold any of these in your hands to see what you think about reaching the plunge release and on/off switch.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors