best place to buy 1x6 siding near Apex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbc58

New User
chris
Where is the best place to buy 1x6 southern yellow pine wood siding near Apex? Need enough for an 8x10 shed project. Any recommendations? Tks.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd check with Capital City Lumber. I got 1x6 T&G Cedar Siding from them a few years back. Not sure about pine but they might carry it or be able to special order. The big chains may also be able to special order it.

The cedar comes with a rough side and a smooth beaded side. Turn it whichever way you think looks best in your application.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Instead of Hardie Plank, look at LP's "Smart Siding." Lowes in west Cary stocks it. Bettter than Hardie plank. It's lighter, better warranty ( 50 years vs 30 years for Hardie.) cuts with regular tools, doesn't absorb water like Hardie plank. Boron treated for rot and termites.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
If you want the "old time" look, give Charles Holland in New Hill a call. He has a circle mill and sells pine for a pretty reasonable amount.

If band mill marks are acceptable, give Jack Murdoch up in Rolesville a call.

MBaker

New User
Baker
If you want the "old time" look, give Charles Holland in New Hill a call. He has a circle mill and sells pine for a pretty reasonable amount.

If band mill marks are acceptable, give Jack Murdoch up in Rolesville a call.

I too am about to build a 16'x12' structure and am looking for any cheaper alternatives to plywoods and panels. I also would prefer the wooden plank look. I'll check into these two. Any other good suggestions between Raleigh (my work) to Greensboro (my home)?

*edit*

Greensboro being more ideal as closer to home.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I too am about to build a 16'x12' structure and am looking for any cheaper alternatives to plywoods and panels. I also would prefer the wooden plank look. I'll check into these two. Any other good suggestions between Raleigh (my work) to Greensboro (my home)?

*edit*

Greensboro being more ideal as closer to home.

I happen to have about 180 pieces of cedar mill Hardie horizontal siding. I got it for a project that did not get off the ground and would like to see it gone. I will sell at a LOW price

MBaker

New User
Baker
I happen to have about 180 pieces of cedar mill Hardie horizontal siding. I got it for a project that did not get off the ground and would like to see it gone. I will sell at a LOW price

I will have to think about it. I hate to pass up good deals. I'm trying to stick to solid lumber for reusability. My plan is to essentially build a 16x12 on a block/skid foundation and add on two smaller buildings within six months that will give me an "L" shaped shop in the back corner of my yard. That should keep me happy for 3-5 years when I will disassemble it all, get building permits, and invest in a slab foundation and a larger permanent structure. I love building structures so I gives me something to look forward to down the road. :)

With solid lumber I can plank the floors and walls to give it a more barn look and reuse that wood down the road for something else. My partner and I might have found an old barn that can suit the large need for cheap pine we currently require. We are going to investigate it tonight. Luckily he has good experience with old reclaimed wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS