Best oil type finish for Shaving Brush handles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badabing

New User
Joe
I started to get a little bored just turning pens all the time. Someone asked me about shaving brushes with wooden handles and I was intrigued. After researching the idea and importing brush heads from China, here is what I came up with:

While I don't plan on finishing the Cocobolo ones (the wood is oily enough to protect it from water), I will need to do something with the other woods. Any advice is appreciated, but keep in mind that I do not want to put a built up finish like poly on them. I want to use a penetrating oil that will protect the wood and be easily renewed by the customer every so often. I'm thinking a Tung Oil blend would be good but I have no experience with this type of finish...:help:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would use a CA finish, but you're not looking for that type of finish. So I would recommend a Danish Oil or "Tung" Oil type finish. It won't give you a lot of build but will give better protection than a straight true oil finish. They are easy to apply just wipe on and wipe off, do that a dozen times.
Dave:)

gator

George
Corporate Member
After researching the idea and importing brush heads from China, :help:

Joe -

Would you mind sharing your source for the brush heads, or do you have to import them yourself in large quantities?

George

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Joe,
I like an oil & urethane mixture. I would suggest 2/3 BLO and 1/3 spar urethane mixed together and then wiped on. It will take 3-5 coats over a few days to give the best result. Tung oil is great but it takes quite a bit longer than BLO for the smell to go away.
Rob

PS: How's your big cherry project going?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Brushes look great, Joe!!!:icon_thum

(I used one that my dad gave me as a teen, 1960 something, and used it right up to the mid 1980's:rolf:)

I never replaced it, but I too wouldn't mind knowing your source for the brush heads!

Id the brush head just glued into the handle?

Thanks,

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Joe,
No advice on the finish. But the brushes look great. The photographs are outstanding. Are you using a photo box?

Roger

Badabing

New User
Joe
Thanks for the compliments!

Dave, I like that suggestion and will try it. I have some Teak Oil from Watco that I think may work nicely.

George, Wayne, I have a friend that is a Customs Broker. He helped me import the brush heads. I believe there are restrictions on animal parts being imported but I couldn't tell you the specifics. I will say that it cost a small fortune for just 100 brush heads (in 2 sizes), so I need to sell these before I can afford any more :roll: There is a guy in the US that sells them (way too high of a price to make a profit by reselling though), and he claims to be the only importer of these for all of the US and Canada, or something like that. PM me if you want to know how to find him.

Wayne, the brush heads are epoxied into the handles :wink_smil And I too shave with a brush. I had a cheap badger hair brush and it worked fairly well, but when I used one of these silver tip ones the difference was amazing. I plan on buying a safety razor (the kind grandpa used to have) and try that next. I hear that they give a fantastic shave :eusa_thin

Rob, I was afraid you would ask me about that project sooner or later :eusa_doh: Truth is I haven't even started it yet :embaresse But I plan to very soon! Thanks for the finishing recommendation, I will try that out too. It sounds like a good mixture for this type of thing!

Roger, thank you sir! I used a photo cube that I picked up at Walmart on sale a couple months ago. It works great and I actually get a lot of feedback about my photographs on my website! Best investment I made in awhile!

J

jeff...

Shaving_017.jpg

:

I started off shaving with one of those, I remember the mug and the smelly round bar that kinda looked like soap - Those are so cool - can you still get the soap anymore? I suppose you could man those were the days very cool indeed:thumbs_up. OK nice try... I almost feel fell it... BUT I caught myself saying "I could make one of those" one of those involves that thing that makes wood spin. Oh no here comes the urge again... the dark side is like a big sucking void it's trying to suck me in almost every time I open a thread... the urge I must fight, fight it I must

fighting0040.gif

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
I still use a cup, a shaving brush and a safety razor
Used to use a stright razor but cant find them anymore, except the throw away ones the wife gets from Japan

Badabing

New User
Joe
All the old style shaving stuff is available online from many retailers. In fact, if you search for razors, brushes, mugs, soaps, etc, you will find thousands of hits with hundreds of websites that carry all that stuff.

If anyone is interested in purchasing this type of stuff, I highly recommend eBarbershop.com. I've done a lot of research and this website is by far the best. They are family owned and very, very customer focused. I complained about a razor I bought and they sent me a new one at no charge, no questions asked.

John Alongi is the owner and I've talked to him on the phone. Very nice guy and a pleasure to talk to (and work with). He even contacted me about my shaving brushes and we are working out a deal so he can sell them on his website. So look for my brushes there soon!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
If I were looking for an oil finish that a user can easily renew, I would suggest mineral oil. It works great on cutting boards and the like, and is easily obtained in the drug store - many people have some already. There is a level of familiarity with this that I think makes people more comfortable than any specialized WW finish. They don't have to deal with any 'chemicals' or smells or unknowns or other unpleasantries that another renewable finish might bring

Wipe on, wipe off excess - repeat. What could be easier. Little smell to speak of, and looks as good as any oil finish.

Durability - not great. But the mineral oil is not usually too far away from where people shave. You could suggest a monthly wipe on/wipe off routine, or as I tell people for cutting boards "Wipe on more oil if it looks dry". It's that simple.

I have always shaved with one of these brushes and am getting close to wearing out my second one. I guess I get about 15 years of use from one before they get too thin.

Can I buy one? Please!? Let me know how; unfinished is fine, as I'd prefer a mineral oil finish. PM or e-mail

Henry

Badabing

New User
Joe
Henry, thank you! I sent you a PM...

If anyone else is interested in purchasing one I have special pricing for my friends :wwink::icon_thum

My website prices are set so that I don't undercut the retailers that are carrying my brushes. They sell them retail for $110 (25mm knot) and $90 (20mm knot). I will give a significant discount to anyone that wants to buy them here!

Badabing

New User
Joe
Jeff, I really really wish I could be at the picnic this year. But unfortunately work will not allow it this time. I tried to plan on making the trip to Raleigh, even had my wife convinced to go with me! However, it couldn't be worked out so I have to skip it.

Let me extend an open invitation to anyone in Charlotte or planning on visiting Charlotte! I'm always happy to have company in the shop so give me a shout if you're in town and stop by to say hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS