Best method to apply stickers

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I'm making a corn hole game set for my sister. She bought some College Football mascot stickers to apply on the top of the boards.

Should I paint, apply sticker and then apply a clear top coat?

Or paint, apply top coat, then apply sticker and another clear coat?

Or some other method?

I thought the clear coat should help protect the stickers.

Open to suggestions.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good question, I unfortunately haven't a solid answer. Richard is correct in that some top coats are not compatible with the adhesive on the stickers, that being said I have stickers on non dewaxed shellac that have held up very well. Not the type of finish I'd use in your application. However, I can't imagine a sticker being a problem with any urethane products that have been properly cured. The same said for any lacquer products. Just my two pennys

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
How about paint, BB rattle can spray shellac, apply stickers, then a water based General Finish poly? Or just more shellac?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Shellac might react to the acidity of the inks on the stickers, before doing that might want to do a test piece to make sure.

As a rule degloss the underside a bit to make sure the sticking is absolute and roll out to make sure there are not air bubbles. Otherwise, that will get amplified.
If you find small bubbles and can't roll out pop with a pin and then lightly but firmly roll out. When applying self sticking things in general, be cautious not to stretch out the material as you go, this is a common install issue.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I too built these cornhole boards a couple of years ago for our son-in-law. I just painted the boxes with acrylic enamel, applied the mylar Panther stickers and top coated with 3 coats of General Finishes high performance water based poly. To this day they have held up very well.

IMG_0605.JPG

Another trick is I added a box in the rear for the bags with a sliding lid.

IMG_0597.JPG

Wayne

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I too built these cornhole boards a couple of years ago for our son-in-law. I just painted the boxes with acrylic enamel, applied the mylar Panther stickers and top coated with 3 coats of General Finishes high performance water based poly. To this day they have held up very well.

Another trick is I added a box in the rear for the bags with a sliding lid.

View attachment 190167

Wayne
The bag box is a great idea. I'll have to incorporate that into mine. Thanks!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS