Best glue for pen tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Got my pen started kit the other day and it had a 15min two part epoxy with it to glue the tubes in - it is a mess to work with and it seemed like it took forever to dry enough to turn a pen (pixs later) what is the best glue to work with that will give you time to set the tube and not take forever to setup so that you can start turning
Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thick or Medium CA, whichever I have I on had. I prefer thick as it is less likely to make as much of a mess, but medium works fine also. I hit it with a shoot of aerosol accelerator after setting the tubes, to cut down on the mess, also.

Dave:)

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Does the CA med and heavy give you enough time to get the tube set? Also how often do you have to change out the bushings that you use on the mandrel? I am sure with the sanding they do get hit with the sand paper and ware down some

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I've made about a hundred pens and always use Medium or Thick CA. I was only using Medium for a long time, but had a few not hold well ... so far, the thick hasn't had that problem ... but I do find it a bit more messy because it pushes out the end if you apply too much.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
... but I do find it a bit more messy because it pushes out the end if you apply too much.

When you apply the glue do you put it all over the tube or just here and there - and do you put a thin layer or thick - I had the same problem with the 2part epoxy pushing out the other end with a thick or thin layer

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
When you apply the glue do you put it all over the tube or just here and there - and do you put a thin layer or thick - I had the same problem with the 2part epoxy pushing out the other end with a thick or thin layer

I usually do two, or three, thin lines length-wise down the tube, then spin the tube as I insert it. I still get squeeze out on occasion .. but usually that's because I get bit generous with the CA!:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors