Best finish for kitchen gift handles

fjdog

New User
Roland
Hi fellow woodworkers, I turned a bunch of handles this year for to-be-gifted pizza cutters, ice cream scoopers and bottle stoppers. Now I need to put down a good quick finish on them. What is the recommended approach. Would like a relatively glossy finish that is fairly durable and would prefer it to be food safe (even though food probably will not come in direct contact so much). I like working with wipe-on finishes, but could chuck these up again and spray something out of a can. I do not have access to a HVLP sprayer. Thanks for your feedback!

fjdog

New User
Roland
Thanks! I've never tried that before, but sounds like a good approach. Any thoughts on spray lacquer? I've never used it before, but seems like it might be a good option based on YouTube vids.

fjdog

New User
Roland
Does the general finishes Hi Perf require a sealing under coat? Or will it stick to most woods. I used some exotic scraps (purple heart, leopard wood) in the handles and would hate for it to fail.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Does the general finishes Hi Perf require a sealing under coat? Or will it stick to most woods. I used some exotic scraps (purple heart, leopard wood) in the handles and would hate for it to fail.
not sure about exotics, Ive used it over maple, oak, mahogany and cherry , check their website, TONS of valuable info there about their products. Oh, for what its worth, Ive even put this stuff in a windex bottle (diluted about 10%) and sprayed it flawlessly.

Last edited:

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Doctor's Woodshop Pens Plus

I use that almost exclusively on small turnings and even some bowls that won't be used for food. It is a friction build polish so I will put 3-4 coats on pens/stoppers/handles and leave it at that. Gives the wood a really durable finish and looks natural. I don't like using CA or epoxy for most finished items, looks too shiny and too much like plastic to me personally.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
My vote goes for mineral oil. Wipe it own, wipe off excess, repeat a couple times more. Buy mineral oil in the pharmacy, it's definitely food safe. Can be reapplied at any time, as needed, with no special tools.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Need the poly if its going to be in the kitchen and get washed. Great idea on the dipping but use waterbased poly so they dont amber

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks! I've never tried that before, but sounds like a good approach. Any thoughts on spray lacquer? I've never used it before, but seems like it might be a good option based on YouTube vids.
Spray lacquer is a quick and easy solution, however this finish will break down and ware away fairly quickly as well. The up side is it’s easy to repair.
oil finishes are nice but break down fairly easily as well. The up side is it’s easy to repair too.
most finishes will need more than one coat to be effective, all of these finishes are permeable and will break down from ware, water, and general use.
on a side note all finishes once dry are food safe.

fjdog

New User
Roland
Thanks for the input everyone. Here's what I ended up doing... Sanded to 320 on the lathe. Two coats of seal-coat shellac. Then used two coats of General finishes high performance finish. I actually dug out my old critter sprayer and sprayed the General Finishes while the pieces were turning on the lathe. I just covered all of the lathe parts beforehand. All-in-all it was pretty easy and turned out well. The General Finishes is pretty weird stuff as it is almost a little cloudy or white when it first goes on and then turns clear.

Attachments

• IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 65

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used to use the Behlen's Salad Bowl Finish - I checked but KWS does not sell that any longer they did suggest the General Finishes Wood Bowl Finish - Mike said "The General Finishes is a product they made to be like the Behlen Product. Very Very Similar"

I had some Chicago Cutlery knives and dipped them and buffed them with Scotch Brite after they dried and have used them that way for years.

Woodworker's Supply still carries the Behlen's product;

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS