Best clear deck sealer

joec

joe
User
I just had my deck cleaned and want to put a clear penetrating sealer on. What is the best brand to use?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I had different experience with Thompson's (the oil based. Have not tried the water based). It only lasted about 6 months on the top and railings in the full sunshine areas. However, if your deck is raised up enough to crawl under it, it is excellent for spraying on the underside of the deck to keep mud daubers and paper wasps from building nests. it lasts for several years in that use. I spray it on using a garden pump sprayer and then flush the sprayer using DNA).

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I just sprayed two porches with Thompsons sealer and stain. It holds up quite well on covered areas, but the steps are in the weather, and they held up well from the previous coatings 4 years ago. I also liked the price!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I almost always use a 15-20% paint thinner and boiled linseed oil (80-85%). Applied with a Hudson sprayer. Watch how it absorbs as soon as it begins to get shiny then stop. That is the 1st application on all softwood decks I do. Then if in a couple of months you want a specific deck coating the coating will last a lot longer. Essentially, the linseed oil provides a wood treatment and sealer. This the standard I use (originally from California) on all redwood decks. Be advised this will darken the wood as any oil usually darkens wood. But, this lasts and protects the wood from getting dried out. If you want the wood to stay as is (say white) then Clear wood treatment (CWT) or others like it. These materials do have a shorter life no matter what any of them claim.
If you are painting old wood trim or siding on homes, painters use this as a 1/3 paint thinner-2/3 linseed oil combo (or up to 50/50) if the the wood is really dried out and weathered. This treats the wood and prevents it over absorbing the suspensions agents in the paint which, then makes the finish nicer and longer lasting.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS