Bent laminations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Would anybody be interested in a bent lamination workshop?

I have done a few unusual laminations and maybe someone would like to learn how to make some of this stuff.

Wood wheels and and springs for light carts.

attachment.php

Runners and rails

attachment.php

Table legs
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 299
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 291
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 286

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Interested, most certainly. But in all honesty it is unlikely I would be able to make it as you are a long day trip for me (4 hours each way) and I have not been doing all that well lately which makes travel very difficult. I really hope that you achieve the necessary critical mass to hold this class as I know you have plenty to teach and pass on and bent laminations and learning to make their forms really opens up some very interesting and unusual opportunities in woodworking construction and design without any compromise in strength or excessive waste as one would experience if trying to cut the same final shape out of a single piece of solid wood.

I really appreciate the photos you have included as I have planned to experiment with vacuum clamping and bent laminations (along with veneering and other projects well suited to vacuum presses) for future projects once I am back to feeling well enough to get back into woodworking (it has been a several year hiatus so far). I have all the pieces to build a very nice Venturi type vacuum system, and a compressor plenty large enough to power it, I just have left to buy the bags and their hookup valves when the time comes to finally start. Of course, vacuum clamping is just one avenue for vacuum clamping as ordinary clamps may also be used (but then you do not get to design and build a new and useful tool).

Best of luck on your class!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The main part of the class will be on designing and building forms. But I also want to discuss the vacuum taper cutting jig I
invented when I had to figure out how to taper both ends of 18 slats 3/16 X 2 inches X 7 feet long for the arch table legs.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
David,

Do you want to laminate the arms?

I think most folks steam bend the arms, but you could laminate them. Just might not be authentic.

Anybody got experience with Morris chair that can answer that ?

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
I have seen plans doing it both ways. I was thinking that building the forms for laminations would be similar to building them for steam bending.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Such diverse project ideas. Maybe this should be a two part deal?

First meeting of the group with sharing of ideas and demonstrations.

Then one on one for any who want help with individual project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS