Benchtop Planer Advice

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
So far, this group has been great in advice on a lathe upgrade as well as a band saw. The next item I am considering is a benchtop planer.
Usage will be infrequent and mainly for smoothing down knife scales or perhaps some resin hybrid cutting boards. It's one of those items that I rarely 'need' but can see a use for it.

Given my limited usage, is there an reason to not 'cheap out' on one? I know that I've never begrudged a dime spent on 'decent' tools, but I would categorize this particular tool as one that I would use less than a dozen times a year and likely closer to half dozen. I have a benchtop jointer that works ok, but I'm limited to 6 inches on it unless I modify it.

I'm looking at what I can get locally at Lowes with my Veteran discount.
Specifically the Craftsman 15A model, which would be at $300 before the discount.
Thoughts?

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
I have the Craftsman and it works great. Only issue I've had is hitting a knot and taking a little dimple out of the blade. I got mine used for a great price. Used might be an option for you.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Great to hear... thank you, sir. I did a quick check on Craigslist and didnt see any options. While I'm not in any particular hurry, I'd like to grab one next time I'm out around town, unless I have it delivered.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
First, I don't own a DeWalt 735. I own a Rockwell 13" (weighs around 1000#,) !5" Delta DC 380, and two Delta 12" lunch boxes (22-540.) The 735 is the "gold standard in portable planers. I don't know if the DeWalt 734 is still in production, but I used a couple of friends machine. If it's was available, and I were replacing my lunch boxes, this would be my first choice. Currently, Amazon has the 734 for $449, delivered

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It sounds like you need a small drum sander instead of a planer.
Short pieces like cutting boards are subject to snipe and really short pieces like knife scales are not recommended at all.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Let me quantify the 'knife scales' usage. My idea with that isnt to plane down individual scales which are typically 2x5x(whatever thickness), but rather to take reclaimed lumber and smooth them out and cut scales from that. I understand that individual scales may be a bit small and I certainly wouldnt feel comfortable in pushing them inside.
However... I assumed that cutting boards would be ideal for this type of machine.

I hadnt considered a smaller drum sander, though... I assumed that after planing, I would hit the piece with a sander.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Let me quantify the 'knife scales' usage. My idea with that isnt to plane down individual scales which are typically 2x5x(whatever thickness), but rather to take reclaimed lumber and smooth them out and cut scales from that. I understand that individual scales may be a bit small and I certainly wouldnt feel comfortable in pushing them inside.
However... I assumed that cutting boards would be ideal for this type of machine.

I hadnt considered a smaller drum sander, though... I assumed that after planing, I would hit the piece with a sander.
A small drum sander can be used for thicknessing lumber that has been re-sawn close to size.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have a Ridgid 13 inch planer that serves my purposes. Works great and has a lifetime warranty. Purchased at Home Depot.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have a Ridgid 13 inch planer that serves my purposes. Works great and has a lifetime warranty. Purchased at Home Depot.
Does it have "lifetime warranty," or is it covered by a lifetime service agreement? Hope you filled out the LSA, mailed it in and kept a copy for your files. Ridgid has been known to develope memory loss concerning LSA's. DAMHIK. A copy of my certificate of mailing refreshed their memory.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Does it have "lifetime warranty," or is it covered by a lifetime service agreement? Hope you filled out the LSA, mailed it in and kept a copy for your files. Ridgid has been known to develope memory loss concerning LSA's. DAMHIK. A copy of my certificate of mailing refreshed their memory.
Lifetime service agreement. Of course you have to register it and keep your receipt. Home Depot has good at honoring the Ridgid warranty.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Jus throwing it out there.

I have a DeWalt 734 (not to be confused with the 735), which has been sitting in my garage for the past 3 - 4 years? I bought it new and I've pretty much babied it from day 1.
My guess is that it has a total of 30 - 60 minutes of use. I believe the straight blades are fine, but I've never inspected them for rust or dings. Regardless, if the blades aren't rusty, they can be flipped around once, I think the website states. I've only used it on store bought lumber, too (red oak and pine). if that matters.

I have the dust shroud and the 4" to 2.5" (?) adapter, but I THINK I lost the small screw\s that hold it to the actual unit.

Not really in a rush to sell it, since I am not sure I want to or am selling it, but if someone comes a long with an honest offer...

Regards.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Jus throwing it out there.

I have a DeWalt 734 (not to be confused with the 735), which has been sitting in my garage for the past 3 - 4 years? I bought it new and I've pretty much babied it from day 1.
My guess is that it has a total of 30 - 60 minutes of use. I believe the straight blades are fine, but I've never inspected them for rust or dings. Regardless, if the blades aren't rusty, they can be flipped around once, I think the website states. I've only used it on store bought lumber, too (red oak and pine). if that matters.

I have the dust shroud and the 4" to 2.5" (?) adapter, but I THINK I lost the small screw\s that hold it to the actual unit.

Not really in a rush to sell it, since I am not sure I want to or am selling it, but if someone comes a long with an honest offer...

Regards.
Thanks for the reply and I'd have jumped at it... but I did go ahead and grabbed the Craftsman. I've used it several times and it's done what I need it to do so far. In fairness, I've used it more often than I thought I would have. Had I known how handy it would end up being, I may have opted for a bit more 'robust' benchtop model.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS